Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Alternative to sort -ur +1 required Post 302719639 by Don Cragun on Monday 22nd of October 2012 06:21:56 PM
Old 10-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smith
@Don

Since this works perfectly on a different box and occassionally on this one I was hoping that I'd not have to reinvent this thing to fix my problem.

However I think what you're describing is basic enough for me to manage.

sort -k2 -k1,1 newest-data one-month-data archive-data | sort -ur > output

Sound about right?

And yes if there are two identical lines with just the timestamp being different then I'd like to keep the biggest number (newest)
No! Absolutely not! Never! If you are feeding the data through sort twice, the first sort has absolutely no effect (unless you use a -u option in the 1st sort to discard some data and you have already learned that you can't use -u in the 1st sort). The command line you're suggesting:
Code:
sort -k2 -k1,1 newest-data one-month-data archive-data | sort -ur > output

is functionally equivalent to:
Code:
sort -ur newest-data one-month-data archive-data > output

Both sort commands sort the entire set of input lines according to the sort key specified by that sort command.

You still haven't explained why it matters what the timestamp is on lines that are otherwise identical. The commands that you had on Solaris 8 randomly kept one of the lines that matched from the start of field 2 to the end of the line. As stated before the command:
Code:
sort -ur -k2  newest-data one-month-data archive-data

will do what would have happened on Solaris 8 with your current data. If that isn't sufficient, the first step I stated for you in message #10 in this thread can be implemented using:
Code:
sort -k2r -k1nr,1 newest-data one-month-data archive-data

but you will need to write another program that reads the data written by the above sort and throws away all but the 1st line of each set of lines that are identical from the start of field 2 to the end of the line. The program that will do this is NOT sort. It is probably an awk script that compares the substring starting at the first character of column 2 and continuing to the end of the line for adjacent lines and prints $0 for the 1st line in each matching set. (Note that this is not the same as comparing fields $2 to $NF because differences in field separators matter in the first case, but are ignored in the second case.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sort out the required data

Hi All, I have a file 1.txt which has the duplicate dns entries as shown: Name: 000f9fbc6738.net.in|Addresses: 10.241.66.169, 10.84.2.222,212.241.66.170 Name: 001371e8ed3e.net.in|Addresses: 10.241.65.153, 10.84.1.101 Name: 00e06f5bd42a.net.in|Addresses: 10.72.19.218,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert alternative columns and sort text from first column to second?

Hi Everybody, I am just new to UNIX as well as to this forum. I have a text file with 10,000 coloumns and each coloumn contains values separated by space. I want to separate them into new coloumns..the file is something like this as ad af 1 A as ad af 1 D ... ... 1 and A are in one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to sort a file using awk & sed to get required output

Hi All, Need Suggestion, Want to sort a file using awk & sed to get required, output as below, such that each LUN shows correct WWPN and FA port Numbers correctly: Required output: 01FB 10000000c97843a2 8C 0 01FB 10000000c96fb279 9C 0 22AF 10000000c97843a2 8C 0 22AF 10000000c975adbd ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best Alternative for checking input parameter contains required value or not

Any good way to check if code has the required output # /sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1 /sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts | grep "= 1" net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1 What I can think of is above, and it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Modify a file content in UNIX and sort for only required fields ?

I have the below contents in a file after making the below curl call curl ... | grep -E "state|Rno" | paste -sd',\n' | grep "Disconnected" > test "state" : "Disconnected",, "Rno" : "5554f1d2" "state" : "Disconnected",, "Rno" : "10587563" "state" : "Disconnected",, "Rno" :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav H
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /adm/users | join -t: -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to password information, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of is given in users(6); bdays contains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </adm/users | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)