Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help how to create a file (xml) list all files from directory Post 302715371 by ggcc on Sunday 14th of October 2012 07:24:16 PM
Old 10-14-2012
Hello Spacebar,

Thank you so much for your help. I copied your code and run it. The result is almost there. Would you please help to fix two small problems below.

1-The file name is broke down to multiple file names because of the file name contains space bar.

2-The id counter should counter id=1, id=2 ,id=3 etc...

Otherwise it's perfect. Here is the output from your code.
Code:
<?xml version=1.0 encoding=UTF-8?>
<Karaoke>
<item name= "0001" id="1">/dir1/0001</item>
<item name= "More" id="1">/More/More</item>
<item name= "Than" id="1">/Than/Than</item>
<item name= "I" id="1">/I/I</item>
<item name= "Can" id="1">/Can/Can</item>
<item name= "Say.vob" id="1">/Say.vob/Say.vob</item>
<item name= "0002" id="1">/dir1/0002</item>
<item name= "Morning" id="1">/Morning/Morning</item>
<item name= "Has" id="1">/Has/Has</item>
<item name= "Broken.vob" id="1">/Broken.vob/Broken.vob</item>
<item name= "0003" id="1">/dir1/0003</item>
<item name= "My" id="1">/My/My</item>
<item name= "Way" id="1">/Way/Way</item>
<item name= "Rumba.vob" id="1">/Rumba.vob/Rumba.vob</item>
<item name= "0004" id="1">/dir1/0004</item>
<item name= "Papa.vob" id="1">/Papa.vob/Papa.vob</item>
<item name= "0005" id="1">/dir1/0005</item>
<item name= "Touch" id="1">/Touch/Touch</item>
<item name= "By" id="1">/By/By</item>
<item name= "Touch.vob" id="1">/Touch.vob/Touch.vob</item>
<item name= "0006" id="1">/dir2/0006</item>
<item name= "Unchained" id="1">/Unchained/Unchained</item>
<item name= "Melody.vob" id="1">/Melody.vob/Melody.vob</item>
<item name= "0007" id="1">/dir2/0007</item>
<item name= "0008" id="1">/dir2/0008</item>
<item name= "0009" id="1">/dir2/0009</item>
<item name= "0010" id="1">/dir2/0010</item>
</Karaoke>

Last edited by Scott; 10-14-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

create diffrent files based on other file and parameters list

I would like ot create shell script/ bash to create diffrent files based on a file and parameters list. Here is the detail example: I have a textfile and four static parameter files (having ‘?'). mainfile.txt has below records (this count may be more than 50) A200001 A200101 B200001... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav525
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple list of files in a directory ?

Hi, i have say 100 files in a directory. file1.log file2.log file3.log file4.log file5.log file6.log ... ... ... file99.log file100.log ========= I need to create another file which contains the list of al these log files. each file should contain only 10 log file names. it shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
4 Replies

4. Programming

help need in the perl script that create one xml file form multiple files.

Hi every one, Please excuse me if any grammatical mistakes is there. I have multiple xml files in one directory, I need to create multiple XML files into one XML file.example files like this</p> file1:bvr.xml ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerubiji
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create empty files from a list on file

Hello Guys. Please I would like to create empty files from a list In file1 will be the followin values, so i will like to create for each name a empty file. file1 2191off-r0.sps 2192off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2195off-r0.sps So I need to get 5 empty files. Thanks for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from XML files and create a new XML

Hello everybody, I have a double mission with some XML files, which is pretty challenging for my actual beginner UNIX knowledge. I need to extract some strings from multiple XML files and create a new XML file with the searched strings.. The original XML files contain the source code for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: milano.churchil
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a summary file of all files in a directory sorted in reverse alphabetical order.?

I have an interactive script which works terrific at processing a folder of unsorted files into new directories. I am wondering how I could modify my script so that( upon execution) it provides an additional labelled summary file on my desktop that lists all of the files in each directory that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create one xml file from one list of names

Actually I have one list of channels names like: Rai 1 Rai 1 +1HD Rai 1 +2HD Rai 2 Rai 2 +1HD Rai 2 +2HD . . . .From this list of names I need create one new xml file with this structure <channel id="Rai 1"> <display-name lang="it">Rai 1</display-name> <icon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
3 Replies
STAG-SPLITTER(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 STAG-SPLITTER(1p)

NAME
stag-splitter - splits a stag file into multiple files SYNOPSIS
stag-splitter -split person -name social_security_no file.xml DESCRIPTION
Splits a file using a user specified parser (default xml) around a specified split node, naming each file according to the name argument the files will be named anonymously, unless the '-name' switch is specified; this will use the value of the specified element as the filename eg; if we have <top> <a> <b>foo</b> <c>yah</c> <d> <e>xxx</e> </d> </a> <a> <b>bar</b> <d> <e>wibble</e> </d> </a> </top> if we run stag-splitter -split a -name b it will generate two files, "foo.xml" and "bar.xml" input format can be 'xml', 'sxpr' or 'itext' - if this is left blank the format will be guessed from the file suffix the output format defaults to the same as the input format, but another can be chosen. files go in the current directory, but this can be overridden with the '-dir' switch USAGE
stag-splitter [-split <ELEMENT-NAME>] [-name <ELEMENT-NAME>] [-dir <DIR>] [-format <INPUT-FORMAT>] [-outformat <OUTPUT-FORMAT>] <FILENAMES> -p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module -split|s NODE node to split on -name|n NODE field/element to use when naming files will use surrogate IDs if this argument not specified -dir|d DIR write files to this directory perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-SPLITTER(1p)