Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Benefit of Kernel
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Benefit of Kernel Post 302715085 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 13th of October 2012 06:41:26 PM
Old 10-13-2012
The kernel is the operating system. The intermediates you are thinking about are things like device drivers. You need some but not necessarily all drivers to accomplish a given task.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

kernel-kernel call communication

hi all! i have developed a mechanism in system.c to count how many times each kernel call is called. The results are held in an array in system.c . What i want to do is to create a new kernel call which will print this array. I need help in passing the array from system.c to the new kernel call. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aureliano
5 Replies

2. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Benefit for authentication with Active Directory?

Hello all, I heard that we can use Solaris to authenticate user with Active Directory. However, I do not see the point why we need to do that?? what's the benefit to authenticate user with Active Directory??? Example, I have Solaris and I limited only 10 users can access Solaris production... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Smith
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what can i benefit as mechatronics eng.

hello , first i need to know what is a shell and what is a script ,and how can i benefit from shell and script programing as an mechatronics engineer? Thank you for ur time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abu_malek
1 Replies

5. Linux

Supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" me

supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" message comes. I tried giving acpi=off to the kernel command line but same problem.It shows everything ok and no problem with memory and processors and power supplies.Wt could be the reason? It has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
scamp(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  scamp(8)

Name
       scamp - System Configuration and Management Program

Syntax
       /usr/etc/scamp

Description
       The  utility  is a menu-driven program that helps you set up and manage your system.  scamp allows you to manage user accounts and software
       subsets, and to perform basic system management tasks such as setting the system date and time, and rebooting the system.

uses the directory to store all of it's files.

Restrictions
       This utility is installed in the directory.  To have access to while in single-user mode the partition must be mounted.

Examples
       When is invoked a page of welcome text first displayed.	After you hit a carriage return the Main Menu is displayed.

ULTRIX  SCAMP	MAIN  MENU

1 - User Account Management
		       2 - Network Setup Information
		       3 - Terminal Setup
		       4 - Modem Setup
		       5 - Printer Setup
		       6 - Install/Remove Software Subsets
		       7 - License Management Facility - LMF
		       8 - System Management Services

0 - Exit

Enter your choice:
       At the 'Enter your choice:' prompt you enter the number that is beside the task you would like to perform.  To enter a  Product	Authoriza-
       tion Key (PAK) you use the 'License Management Facility - LMF' menu item, so you would enter a 7 at the prompt.

Each  of  the  Main  Menu items have one or more screenfulls of information that could be displayed.  To exit to the previous screen, or to
       exit the utility when at Main Menu, enter a 0 at the prompt.

Files
See Also
       Guide to SCAMP

scamp(8)