Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers security problem with "sudo" for shutdown? Post 302714631 by vbe on Friday 12th of October 2012 11:00:51 AM
Old 10-12-2012
Yes it could be by granting locally the use of shutdown command, I am sure it could also be done in smit/smitty... (using RBAC...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

3. AIX

Difference between "shutdown" and "shutdown -h" ?

Hi, What is the difference between those two ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Need help "application start up & shutdown"

Hello, i have an application,say X application. When the machine is start-up,i want this application is the last module/application to run & when I shutdown the machine i want this application to be the 1st one to shutdown! i.e. last >>start-up 1st >>shutdown Any help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaining behaviour of sudo bash "$0" "$@";

I've found this script part on the stackoverflow: if ; then sudo bash "$0" "$@"; exit "$?"; fi I realized that sudo bash "$0" "$@"; is the only needed for me. But the strange thing happens when I move this line outside the IF statement: sudo bash "$0" "$@"; stops the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: boqsc
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
qshutdown(1)						      General Commands Manual						      qshutdown(1)

NAME
qshutdown - An avanced shutdown tool SYNOPSIS
qshutdown [options] DESCRIPTION
qshutdown is a simple tool to choose a time or a number of minutes to shutdown, reboot, suspend or hibernate after. qshutdown will show itself 3 times as a warning if there are less than 70 seconds left. (if 1 Minute or local time +1 Minute was set it'll appear only once.) This program uses qdbus to send a shutdown/reboot/suspend/hibernate request to either the gnome- or kde-session-manager, to HAL/ConsoleKit/DeviceKit/UPower and if none of these works, the command 'sudo shutdown' will be used. OPTIONS
-h --help Prints options with description. -i Prints information about qshutdown. -v Prints all errors and warnings. NOTES
When sending the request to HAL or ConsoleKit, or the shutdown command is used, the Session will never be saved. If the shutdown command is used, the program will only be able to shutdown and reboot. If nothing happens when the shutdown- or reboot-time is reached, it means that one lacks the rights for the shutdown command. In this case one can do the following: Post the following in a terminal: $ EDITOR=nano sudo -E visudo and add this line: * ALL = NOPASSWD:/sbin/shutdown whereas * replaces the username or %groupname. For admins: If you want qshutdown to run with "parental lock" for every user, you can do $ sudo cp /usr/share/qshutdown/autostart/99qshutdown /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ and set the option Lock_all in /root/.qshutdown/qshutdown.conf to true. Note that qshutdown has to start once to generate the qshut- down.conf. Furthermore there is a need to do $ EDITOR=nano sudo -E visudo and add the following line to the sudoers: * ALL = NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/qshutdown If you should ever forget your set password, just remove the whole line starting with Password manually from the qshutdown.conf. FILES
The configurationfile (and logfile) is located at ~/.qshutdown/ (under Linux/Unix). The maximum Number of countdown_minutes is 1440 (24 hours). KNOWN ISSUES
There is no system tray icon for qshutdown in Ubuntu 11.04. SOLUTION: Type the following line in a terminal: $ gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']" HINTS ON USAGE
If you want qshutdown to stop "bugging" you, just remove the hook from "warnings on?". HOTKEYS
Ctrl+I information window Ctrl+Q Quit Ctrl+P Prefereces Ctrl+L write the run time once into the logfile (works only if qshutdown quits. To make it permanent set it in the preferences.) Ctrl+S set to shutdown Ctrl+R set to restart Ctrl+U set to suspend to RAM Ctrl+H set to hibernate Ctrl+E stop timer (only if the countdown has started and the admin didn't restrict the access) Shift+E to edit the config file (for this a password is necessary. If you are a user, you can set an "empty password" (leave the password field empty)). AUTHOR
Christian Metscher <hakaishi@web.de> 2011-10-23 qshutdown(1)