Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux help Post 302714437 by Don Cragun on Friday 12th of October 2012 07:30:30 AM
Old 10-12-2012
This sounds like a homework item posted to the wrong forum...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
LOOK(1) 							   User Commands							   LOOK(1)

NAME
look - display lines beginning with a given string SYNOPSIS
look [options] string [file] DESCRIPTION
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted (where sort(1) got the same options -d and/or -f that look is invoked with). If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic characters is ignored. OPTIONS
-a, --alternative Use the alternative dictionary file. -d, --alphanum Use normal dictionary character set and order, i.e. only alphanumeric characters are compared. (This is on by default if no file is specified.) -f, --ignore-case Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. (This is on by default if no file is specified.) -t, --terminate character Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of character are compared. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Output version information and exit. The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred. EXAMPLE
sort -d /etc/passwd -o /tmp/look.dict look -t: root:foobar /tmp/look.dict FILES
/usr/share/dict/words the dictionary /usr/share/dict/web2 the alternative dictionary SEE ALSO
grep(1), sort(1) COMPATIBILITY
The original manual page stated that tabs and blank characters participated in comparisons when the alphanum option was specified. This was incorrect, and the current man page matches the historic implementation. HISTORY
The look utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T Unix. AVAILABILITY
The look command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 LOOK(1)