Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Laptop freezing issues
Special Forums Hardware Laptop freezing issues Post 302714059 by Corona688 on Thursday 11th of October 2012 04:12:06 PM
Old 10-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
I have a dual boot of Fedora and XP. I use Fedora way more often though. I have 4 GB of ram and a 4 GB swap. 4 GB of ram is the maximum with this computer.

Is this part a mistake?
No.
Quote:
Shouldn't I touch that file to create it first?
No.
Quote:
Why do you think it is ram instead of cpu issue?
As he says, "all the programs mentioned by you are relatively memory-intensive."

You'd expect a bad CPU to affect everything, not just particularly large things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CDE freezing

I am running Solaris 8 intel and recently my Common Desktop environment will not load. I enter the root username and password at the prompt, it switches to the CDE screen and the freezes. The OpenWindows environment works fine. I tried with a regular username (not root) and I get the same resutls.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. SCO

SCO Unix 5.0.5 freezing

Hie I use SCO Unix 5.0.5 as my operating system and i have been having the following problem for the past couple of days : After every 3 hours or more , my system freezes and all users are locked out .I can not do anything even on the console . Each time i have to press the reset button... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babby
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Jet/Jumpstart installation freezing

Hi guys, I have a problem with installing new Solaris servers via jet/jumpstart (tried both). I`ve configured server, created profile for a client, issued {1} boot net -v install and went to get some cofee... After I came back, client was able to load system from server, get IP and,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
4 Replies

4. SCO

X Server -> keyboard and mouse are freezing

hi I've configured X Server using Video Configuration Manager on SCO 5.0.6, but the keyboard and mouse are freezing after 5 minutes on the graphical login mask. ---------- Post updated at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:43 AM ---------- BTW I finished the configuration,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mouse freezing after idle time

Hi All, I am having a problem where my mouse (USB) is freezing after some idle time, and I am having to reboot everytime that happens. I looked in the file /etc/X11/xorg.config to see if there is an entry for mouse and I could not find it. Instead I found the following entry: Section... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
8 Replies

6. BSD

FreeBSD 8.1 and OSS: system freezing

Hey all, This is my first post and I'm a brand new unix user. Just to let ya know, my technical knowledge consists of windows and linux(Ubuntu, Fedora, Sabayon, and Arch Linux), so I'm not a complete NOOB at using unix-like OSes. Anyway, I installed FreeBSD 8.1 yesterday and everything is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathanbrownitt
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cp freezing from Seagate HDD to Win7

Hello all, Earlier I had a mac book and created a HFS+ file system on Seagate 1 TB external HDD, copied around 200 GB content. Now, I have a Windows 7 machine and wanted to copy the HDD contents to this new machine. Tried using MacDrive10 to mount HFS+ file system in Windows. Mouting is fine and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

10. Linux

Linux keeps freezing on UFW BLOCK

Hi everyone, I have had trouble getting several versions of Linux stable on my machine over the last few months. I do not think the issue is with the machine. Windows ran fine on it for a long time. The current issue is that whenever I lock the screen then come back after a long time I find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)