Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort script Post 302713657 by RudiC on Thursday 11th of October 2012 04:56:52 AM
Old 10-11-2012
Appreciating and supporting what Don and Jim say, but, on the other hand, understanding that and why you are looking for a quick fix, I brought up the following that might do the task. I'm not sure it will run correctly under cygwin - no chance to test. Runs fine, at least with your sample data, on my linux system.
Put the sort order into a file
Code:
Cpyridne_N
Cphenol_O
fusering
nasC

, making sure the items in there match your heading items (no error checking done in here). It needs to open infile twice, but reads only the header line in the first case.
Code:
$(awk   'NR==FNR{Ar[++n]=$1;next}
         FNR=1 {exit}
         END    {printf "sort";
                 for (i=1;i<=n;i++)
                   for (j=1;j<=NF;j++)
                     if (Ar[i]==$j) {printf " -k%d,%d",  j, j; break};
                 printf "\n"}                                     
        ' sortorder infile ) infile

Execute as is, i.e. the entire cmd in $(...). It will sort the headers below everything else; if you can't live with that, use head and tail commands to reverse.

Last edited by RudiC; 10-11-2012 at 06:01 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort utility in script ?

Hi friends, I want to use sort command in script. I used the following syntax in my scipt, sort -t '|' +3 tempcdrext4.cdr > temp.mocdr It give me a error " Input file specified two times." but this command work fine in the prompt without any problem. Can sombody please tell me who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort script/command

ok. i am doing a project where i have hand typed in the titles of nearly 500 DVD titles, each one is on a seperate line. but they arent in any type of alphebetical order, and i need them sorted in that format (A-Z or a-z) ..... i know that the 'sort' command can be used but also know the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chadbot
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to sort data

Hi All, I have a .csv file with 3 columns called nLats, nLongs, and fRes. in following format : "nLats","nLongs","fRes" 0,0,-1 0,1,-1 0,2,-1 0,3,-1 0,4,-1 ......... ......... 0,143,-1 nLats increments at nLongs=143 1,0, -1 1,1, -1 .......... .......... 1,143,-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wizardy_maximus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sort with awk script

I have a file with four fields and an awk script that strips out one field displaying the remaining three. I have added headings for each of these fields such as Player - Year - RBIs then below it comes the data. What I am trying to do is sort the RBIs field in my script from most to least at the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need Unix script to sort

Hi i have a file like this oprvdw vrc002093j.ksh oprvdw vrc002092j.ksh oprvrc vrc045016j.ksh oprvrc vrc055141j.ksh svemietl bdw0231185.sh svemietl bdw0231145.sh and i need a script which dispalys in below format: oprvdw : vrc002093j.ksh vrc002092j.ksh oprvrc :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort script

hi guys i looking for someone to help me with a script i want to sort all de files from /bin by size (from max to min) and the size and path of first 3 files to be written in /home/user/bin_size .And i want to put that script in crontab to execute every monday at 20:00 Can someone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Sort into columns

Hi geeks! I want to convert the following: EPC-NotificationData: sms:2348034503643 EPC-GroupIds: 300H:10:22-01-2014T07:30:14,22-04-2014T07:30:14 To: EPC-NotificationData: sms:2348034503643, EPC-GroupIds: 300H:10:22-01-2014T07:30:14,22-04-2014T07:30:14 I want them to be on the same... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to call and sort awk script and output

I'm trying to create a shell script that takes a awk script that I wrote and a filename as an argument. I was able to get that done but I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the header of the output at the top but sort the rest of the rows alphabetically. This is what I have now but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2.4.28 2011/11/24 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)