Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is it better/possible to pause the rsyncing of a very large directory? Post 302713449 by DeCoTwc on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 06:05:28 PM
Old 10-10-2012
Is it better/possible to pause the rsyncing of a very large directory?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm deciding how I'm going to do this. I'm currently rsyncing a 25TB directory (with several layers of sub directories most of which have video files ranging from 500 megs to 4-5 gigs), from one NAS to another using rsync -av. By the time I need to act ~15TB should have been moved. I need to stop the transfer for ~12 hours. Can I just ^z the process and come back and fg it (this is running in a screen session) or should I just ^c it, and kick it back off and let rsync figure out what's already been transferred on it's own?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to pause another process?

I guess I posted in wrong forum before. How do I pause another process and then restart it on linux? The other process doesn't listen for anything. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dane :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daneensign
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pause() problems

well is gets stuck and i dont know why....... pid=fork(); if(pid==0) { pause(); write(1,"child",5); exit(0); } else { sleep(1); kill(pid,SIGCONT); write(1,"parent",5); wait(0); } all=1; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check large directory--help

All, I have one script which gives me the O/P of "percentage of filesystems utilization". we have four filesystem for which i want to check and get the mail when utilization is more than 40%. below are the filesystems. /AB/Filesy1 /AB/Filesy2 /AB/Filesy3 /AB/Filesy4 Below script is working... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find in a directory containing large number of files

Hi All, I have searched this forum for related posts but could not find one that fits mine. I have a shell script which removes all the XML tags including the text inside the tags from some 4 million XML files. The shell script looks like this (MODIFIED): find . "*.xml" -print | while read... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Empty directory, large size and performance

Hi, I've some directory that I used as working directory for a program. At the end of the procedure, the content is deleted. This directory, when I do a ls -l, appears to still take up some space. After a little research, I've seen on a another board of this forum that it's not really taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdx
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

On CentOS, moving space from large free directory to another

Hi. My "/usr" folder is running out of space. My "/home" folder is quite large and has a lot of free space. As follows: Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on ... /dev/sda5 ext3 9.7G 2.6G 6.7G 28% / /dev/sda7 ext3 152G 16G 128G 11% /home /dev/sda3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkiula
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete large set of files (i.e) close to 100K from a directory based on the input file

Hi all, I need a script to delete a large set of files from a directory under / based on an input file and want to redirect errors into separate file. I have already prepared a list of files in the input file. Kndly help me. Thanks, Prash (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
36 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy very large directory trees

I have constant trouble with XCOPY/s for multi-gigabyte transfers. I need a utility like XCOPY/S that remembers where it left off if I reboot. Is there such a utility? How about a free utility (free as in free beer)? How about an md5sum sanity check too? I posted the above query in another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Large Files Recursively From Specific Directory

Hi. I found many scripts in the web of achieving this. But I like to use this one find /EDWH-DMT03 -xdev -size +10000 -exec ls -la {} \;|sort -n -k 5 > LARGE.rst But the problem is, why it still list out files with 89 bytes as the output? Is there anything wrong with the command? My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies
MRB(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    MRB(8)

NAME
mrb - manage incremental snapshots with rsync/make. SYNOPSIS
mrb command DESCRIPTION
mrb is a simple aid to creating efficient incremental snapshots of a set, or sets, of directories whenever that may be required. It may be used as part of a regular automated backup regime, or for manually checkpointing changes at convenient points in time. COMMANDS
The following commands are recognised (where 'MODULE' is the name of one of your snapshot definitions): new-MODULE Create a skeleton definition for a new snapshot 'MODULE'. dest-MODULE Create the destination dir for 'MODULE'. This directory must exist to create a snapshot. snap-MODULE Create a snapshot of 'MODULE'. sync Create snapshots of all defined modules. If run as root this may be configured to include the modules of other users too (see MRB_SYNC_USERS in ~/.mrb/defaults). help Show mrb's own help text. CONFIGURATION FILES
Per-user configuration The following files may be used to specify global and local configuration options. /etc/default/mrb system default configuration. ~/.mrb/defaults per-user configuration. Per-user options The following options control behaviour for all of a user's modules. MRB_SNAPSHOT_LOG An optional file path where transfer details will be recorded. If unset these details will not be logged. MRB_SYNC_USERS A space separated list of users whose modules should be included in a sync. This is mostly only useful for root, as mrb will assume the identity of each user before creating snapshots of their modules. If unset, only the invoking user's modules will be sync'ed. MRB_CONFDIR An space separated list of the directories to search for module definition (*.mrc) files. They will be searched in the order given, with new modules added by default to the last one listed. There should be few reasons to change the default value. Per-module configuration The default MRB_CONFDIR value will search for module definitions in: /etc/mrb/*.mrc ~/.mrb/*.mrc Those created by new-MODULE will be placed in this latter location by default. Per-module options In each case module below is the name of the particular module that the value set should apply to. These options should be defined in a file named module.mrc. module_SRC A space separated list of the files and (top level) directories to include in the snapshots for this module. module_DEST The directory root where snapshots of module should be stored. module_INCLUDE An optional list of rsync(1) include patterns. module_EXCLUDE An optional list of rsync(1) exclude patterns. module_FILTER An optional list of rsync(1) filter patterns. module_FILTER_FILE An optional filename for rsync(1) dir-merge filtering support. module_RSYNC_OPTIONS Optional additional rsync(1) options to pass verbatim when it is invoked. module_PRECOMMAND An optional shell command to invoke just prior to creating a new snapshot. If the command does not return a successful exit status, then the snapshot creation will be aborted before it begins. It may be used to mount removable media or similar. module_POSTCOMMAND An optional shell command to execute after making the snapshot. It will not be called if the snaphot creation failed at an earlier stage, and its return status may halt a sync operation if it fails with more modules still to process. It may be used, for example, to unmount removable media again. module_USER An optional user name to check that mrb is running as before performing a snapshot. This can be used to ensure you have the correct permisson to access the files being mirrored before you get too far. SEE ALSO
rsync(1), make(1). AUTHOR
mrb was written by Ron <ron@debian.org>. May 9, 2006 MRB(8)