Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing variables into AWK
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing variables into AWK Post 302713147 by Boomn4x4 on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 10:25:06 AM
Old 10-10-2012
The print statements failed with the "." and the "/n" so I had to put the "." in quote and put some other quotes in to accomodate spacing and the /n got removed... but it works

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to AWK

Does anybody have an explanation for the following: The following scripts runs fine on IRIX64 6.5 but has bugs on Solaris 8. #! /bin/sh echo run only on an SGI machine echo type in linenumber read j echo value read value awk -f rmspass2 level=$value $j'step1.mlf' When the script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to Awk

Hi I have a unix shell script with an awk statement. I would like to print some of the fields of an input file. However, I would like to print them dynamically, ie by passing the literal $1 $3 into the script to define the output. I have tried the following: variable1='$1' awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk Variables

I am trying to pass the results from a variable gathered from awk, however when I echo the 'PARSE' and 'SUB', the response is blank. This is my command. awk -F= '/Unit/''{ PARSE=substr($2,1,5) ; SUB=substr($2,1,1) }' inputfile.lst Is this a kind of valid attempt or am I obligated to declare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing space seprated variables in awk

Hi, How to pass space seprated variables in awk. (HP-UX, sh shell) I have the problem like below: var="Hello" var2="Manu Batham" echo $var2 | awk -v variable=${var} '{ printf "%s %s", variable, $1}' and its output is: Hello Manu while output should be: Hello Manu Batham Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manubatham20
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PAssing variables to awk arithmetic

Hi all, I am wanting to pass variables from a file to an awk arithmetic formula. When I use the formula with the value it works well. As soon as I make these variables I get an inf (infinity) response. I can certainly echo the variables back and they look correct. My googling for answers has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gafoleyo73
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to awk

Hi guys, I need to fetch data from logfile between two given dates,i got the below code from our forum.It works perfect,but i need to enter the value dynamically to awk while running. awk '/2012 Jun/{p=1}!/2012 Jul/ && prev~/2012 Jul/ && p{p=0}{prev=$0}p' file i tried the below code,but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - passing variables in and out

Am looking to pass some Linux environment variables into AWK , can I simply use the -v option ? awk -F: -v AHOME=$HOME '{ if {rm AHOME/file.txt a=2 } }' config.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies
curs_add_wch(3X)														  curs_add_wch(3X)

NAME
add_wch, wadd_wch, mvadd_wch, mvwadd_wch, echo_wchar, wecho_wchar - add a complex character and rendition to a curses window, then advance the cursor SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int add_wch( const cchar_t *wch ); int wadd_wch( WINDOW *win, const cchar_t *wch ); int mvadd_wch( int y, int x, const cchar_t *wch ); int mvwadd_wch( WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const cchar_t *wch ); int echo_wchar( const cchar_t *wch ); int wecho_wchar( WINDOW *win, const cchar_t *wch ); DESCRIPTION
The add_wch, wadd_wch, mvadd_wch, and mvwadd_wch functions put the complex character wch into the given window at its current position, which is then advanced. These functions perform wrapping and special-character processing as follows: - If wch refers to a spacing character, then any previous character at that location is removed. A new character specified by wch is placed at that location with rendition specified by wch. The cursor then advances to the next spacing character on the screen. - If wch refers to a non-spacing character, all previous characters at that location are preserved. The non-spacing characters of wch are added to the spacing complex character, and the rendition specified by wch is ignored. - If the character part of wch is a tab, newline, backspace or other control character, the window is updated and the cursor moves as if addch(3X) were called. The echo_wchar function is functionally equivalent to a call to add_wch followed by a call to refresh. Similarly, the wecho_wchar is func- tionally equivalent to a call to wadd_wch followed by a call to wrefresh. The knowledge that only a single character is being output is taken into consideration and, for non-control characters, a considerable performance gain might be seen by using the *echo* functions instead of their equivalents. RETURN VALUES
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and OK on success. NOTES
Note that add_wch, mvadd_wch, mvwadd_wch, and echo_wchar may be macros. PORTABILITY
All these functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The defaults specified for forms-drawing characters apply in the POSIX locale. XSI documents constants beginning with WACS_ which are used for line-drawing. Those are not currently implemented in ncurses. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_attr_get(3X), curs_clear(3X), curs_outopts(3X), curs_refresh(3X), putwc(3) curs_add_wch(3X)