Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to run additional shells
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to run additional shells Post 302713103 by Scott on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 09:22:40 AM
Old 10-10-2012
You don't need to register multiple users. Closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Additional character output

Hi there, I am just wondering if somebody can help me find out why am I getting additional characters on my "echo" command to create a text file. Here's my unix script : #!/bin/ksh #============================================================ # Script Name : chk_ORDHD.ksh # Description... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Additional Password Features

Hello: I have a customer who is requesting the following security features on a Solaris 8 system: 1. Password history for the three previous passwords. 2. User account lockout after 3 failed login attempts. Can anyone help provide me with a solution or direction for the above? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rambo15
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to run different shells which run different processes

Hi, Would like to ask the experts if anyone knows how to run a script like this: dtterm -title shell1 run process1 on shell1 dtterm -title shell2 run process2 on shell2 cheers! p/s: sorry if i used the wrong forum, quite concussed after watching world cup for several nights; but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
2 Replies

4. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

Additional book recommendations

To my surprise, I found many of my personal favorites to be missing from the book recommendations thread. Although dated, Kernighan & Pike's The Unix Programming Environment is a classical introduction, covering the shell, the scripting languages, make, troff, and some fundamental C programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: era
0 Replies

5. AIX

Install additional fonts ?

Hi, I have two fonts installed on my AIX machine: FONT FILE GLYPH FONT ID NAME SIZE ENCODING ==== ============== ===== ========= 0 Erg22.iso1.snf 12x30 ISO8859-1 1 Erg11.iso1.snf 8x15 ISO8859-1 I want to install more, how to obtain available fonts list ? What filesets I must install ?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

6. Linux

Additional mirrors on centos

How can I add additional mirrors to my CENTOS distro, according to this page AdditionalResources/Repositories - CentOS Wiki there are few fedora project repositories I'd like to add any of them but I don't know how? Thank you in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding shells and subshells when a script is run

I have the following script running with nohup on one of my servers: #!/bin/bash #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #set log number #i=1 #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #Check if log exits, if so incrememnt log number up so we don't clobber #while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to run addtional Shells on top of the default shell

Hi What is the command to run additional available shells on top of default shell. I am using bash also how can i tell that the additional shells are actually running? Also what is the advantage of running additional shells on top of your default login shell of bash? Lastly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run commands in a script in different shells

Hi to all, i have the following problem... i want to run three commands in a script in different shells... the first command is running always and is needed for the second on to run properly... example # Procedure 1 xterm -e exec1 arg1 arg2 # Procedure 2 xterm -e exec2 arg1 arg2 #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if else with additional condition

Input file: 3420023_3422482,3422486_3423070 46910 1795263_1798343 32681 1837399_1838886 1534 2148674_2149696,2149698_2149772 10203 3825382_3825555,3827296_3827900 198 1839890_1840294 72 . . Output file 3420023_3422482,3422486_3423070 3420023_3422482,3422486_3423070 46910 1795263... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)