Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi/vim lessons 1 - 7
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? vi/vim lessons 1 - 7 Post 302713073 by ni2 on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 08:47:59 AM
Old 10-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
We are going to put each one of these seven lessons into it's own thread and then see if we can get a discussion going on each (improvements, suggestions, errors, etc.) - Maybe we'll make a new (better?) set?
Good idea!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Private Lessons

Hi everyone, I'm looking to hire for private lessons a individual who is presently working as a unix system administrator or instructor in school who is teaching unix. I live in Clifton nj my nubmer is Cell **no phonenumbers on this forum** or email **no emails on this forum** please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john furman
1 Replies

2. Programming

C Lessons

I started wrting c lessons for absoulute begginers to advanced users, I think material can be considered quality, and my students learn programming with this stuff. If you wish feel free to start reading it here: www.visualcmaniac.com its only 5 lessons for now so maybe could be easier for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vurdlak
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

The 5 Minute Management Course (Six Lessons)

Lesson 1: A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower, when the doorbell rings. The wife quickly wraps herself in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next-door neighbour. Before she says a word, Bob says, 'I'll... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)