Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving /etc/printers.conf
Operating Systems Solaris Moving /etc/printers.conf Post 302713027 by bakunin on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 07:10:19 AM
Old 10-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinccy
I am not very familiar with print services and all. I wanna ask whether this lpd protocol thingy affects anything?
LOL!

Yes, it does and this is probably one of the reasons your new server doesn't print anything.

"lpd" is short for "line printer daemon" and the name is pretty intuitive.

Consider a network communication via telnet: there is a specific protocol and a designated port for it to operate (have a look in "/etc/services"). The protocol is like a common language. You also need a client and a server both speaking this protocol. The client is called "telnet" too and issuing "telnet foo" on the system "bar" will call this client and have it try to initiate a communication with the system "foo". To be successful on system "foo" there has to run a "daemon" listening on the designated port for clients requesting its services. The daemon is called "telnetd" and steered by a super-daemon called "inetd" (I[nter]net-daemon).

The communication between printers and systems offering print queues ("print servers") is similar, just the protocol is different: lpdp instead of telnet. It operates on port 515 (again: have a look in "/etc/services").

You put a print job into a queue with the "lpr" (line printer remote) utility. The printing system puts it into the queue until the necessary server becomes available for it (spooling). In fact this step just means to maintain a directory with waiting print jobs - simply files waiting to be dumped into a printer. You can find these files somewhere under "/var", probably "/var/spool/lp" or something such (i am not too knowledgeable in Solaris, but somewhere in this vicinity you will find the jobs).

Once a printer says it is ready to accept files this job file is being sent to it using the client and server part of the lpd. The print server maintaining the queue acts as a lient, the printer hardware as the server: commonly a printer just prints, a network printer has a network card built in with a lpd running on top of its hardware. This lpd is the "server" for the job.

You can test this (at least with the common HP printers using JetDirect cards) by issuing "telnet <printer-ip> 515" on the command line. You will get a banner saying "HP Jetdirect" and some diagnostic information before it says "connection closed" - of course. "telnet" speaks another protocol and can't really answer the requests of a lpd server, but it is enough to get this banner information sent before the processes recognize they don't share a common language.

Once the job is sent to the printer (more correctly: to its network card) and the lpd running there acknowledges the job being processed (this doesn't necessarily have to mean the file is completely or even in parts printed - it just says the server doesn't have to feel responsible for it any more) the print server clears the job from the queue. That is all.

PS: literature pointers
see RFC 1179 for the exact definition of the standard.
search for "Berkeley Printing System" (that's the name of the whole system) for manuals, documents, etc..

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 10-10-2012 at 08:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printers

I'm in need of finding out on how to mount and dismount printers. Thx, shawnnee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shawnnee
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabled printers

How does or what makes a printer go into a disabled state? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsb0
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usb printers

Hey guys!! I just had changed my server and the new one does not have a parallel port, only usb, and I donīt know how to make a usb printer work. Iīm using sco openserver 5.0.7 Someone can help me? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proyesa
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Printers question...

Hi there... I have a question for those who mess with printers in hpnpl\jetadmin... what's the differance bitween local printer queue and remote printer queue and why for adding a remote queue i need to restart my spooler while for a local queue i dont... thanx for the help! Eliraz. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf

HI, I want a help for Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf (i.e Configuring SNMP) for receiving TRAPS in my networks. I am using RHEL4.0 OS. Please tell me How I can configure above two files in a proper way and at an advanced level. Especially I am getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

SD.conf and LPFC.conf

What would be Redhat RHEL 4.0 equivalent for Solaris sd.conf and lpfc.conf? What are the files called and where are the files located? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

7. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from printers.conf file

I am looking to remove a line from /etc/cups/printers.conf file. In 10.04 when adding a printer through NoMachine a line gets added to the conf file called AuthInfoRequired username,password. I am looking to make a script that will run as a cron to search for those lines in the conf file and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nlsfn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf

Hello all, Newbie here. I'm currently tasked with updating rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf on a large set of servers. I know the exact logging configurations that I want to enable. I have updated both files on on a server and hope to use the updated files as a template for the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mide
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies