Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need some help with backup
Operating Systems AIX need some help with backup Post 302712991 by bakunin on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 06:09:23 AM
Old 10-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierfek
I would like to get both but datavg is the one i really need. I have tried using mksysb [...]
An "mksysb" is always an image of the rootvg only. It is used to create a backup set with all the configuration/customization information of a system in place so that it can be set up again fast in case of a machine failure or to clone a system onto another one. In fact mksysb-format backups include boot blocks so it is possible to directly boot a system from such an image and restore it from it in one pass.

There is the more general command "savevg", which creates a backup for any volume group. "mksysb" is in fact using "savevg", but putting a boot block and other information in front of this image. gts1999 already told you about "savevg".

The destination for either a mksysb- or a savevg-image is classically a tape drive, but can be any device or file. Just make sure you have enough room for it on this device/file.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding backup

hi i wanna know that is any such type of backup possible in Solaris or AIX that if my system crashes and i had to format the server.........then i shud be able to build the server with that backup only...........if so how thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup

Dear All I have an HP 9000/800 UNIX machine , I have also Oracle applications 11i installed on it , we tried to take backup using fbackup command but it skipped some files ( was for database and the database was up and running ) but it took the other database files. I need to know also ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hisham.hamdy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup to CD ????? any one know how to do ???

hi, am trying to backup data on cd, cuz i don not have tape device....!!! i've rewritable CDROM, am using solaris 10 for x86 on vmware ..... how to make a backup data to a cd_rom againist to tape ? # ufsdump 0f cd_rom (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasame
1 Replies

6. AIX

backup

hi seniors today i took a backup using tar cmd in this i took two files for backup,backup was done succesfully but while viewing using tar -tvf ------- its showiing only one file at a time and i took backup in /etc/hosts,/etc/sen/nes (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
BOOT.CONFIG(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    BOOT.CONFIG(5)

NAME
boot.config -- Configuration file for the boot blocks DESCRIPTION
The boot.config file contains options for the FreeBSD boot block code. When the FreeBSD boot loader runs, it searches the ``a'' slice of the boot partition for a boot.config file (as a result, slices which are missing an ``a'' partition require user intervention during the boot process). If the boot.config file is found, its contents are used as the default configuration options for the boot block code and are echoed to the system console. A valid format of this file is to put BIOS drive number, a controller type, a unit number, a partition, a kernel file name, and any other valid boot(8) option on a single line, as it is done at the ``boot:'' prompt. The options related to the boot image selection described below and all the other options available for boot.config are documented in detail in the boot(8) manual page. FILES
/boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
The command: # echo "-P" > /boot.config will activate the serial console of FreeBSD. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader" > /boot.config will instruct the second stage of boot(8) on the first disk to boot with the third boot(8) stage from the second disk. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader -P" > /boot.config will do both of the above. SEE ALSO
boot(8), loader(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 13, 2007 BSD