Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change a character based on its position number Post 302712829 by rdrtx1 on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 10:13:24 PM
Old 10-09-2012
Code:
awk -v p=150 -v r="T" -v l="C" '{for (i=1; i<=length($0); i++) {s=substr($0,i,1);if (s~r)n++;if (n==p)s=l;printf s}print ""}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Character position

Hi , I am required to view the fixed postion file very often . I am looking for the utility like this if the file has a one or multile line abcdefghijklmnopqr Utility should make my file look like this 12345678910111213141516-------------------------- abcdefghijk l m n o p q r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akrathi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a flat file based on multiple colums(using character position)

Hi, I have an urgent task here. I am required to sort a flat file based on multiple columns which are based on the character position in that line. I am restricted to use the character position instead of the space and sort +1 +2 etc to do the sorting. I understand that there is a previous... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucubird
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Position of word character

Hi, I have following format in file aaa with content below, and would like to seek help from forumer about how to change and swap the position on 2nd field. 5874957|901125| 95874960|650614| 95874966|870308| 901125 to be changed as 25-11-1990 for eg Can someone help please ?? :) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut multiple data based on character position

How to extract multiple data based on character position. I need to fetch from 7-9 and 22-26 and there is no delimiter for 22-26 since it is part of the column. The file may have more than 1000 character long.I managed to pull any one but not both for example test data 12345 zxc vbnmlk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zooby
1 Replies

5. Linux

Linux script to remove a character in a file based on position.

Greetings, We have a requirement where we need to loop in a fixed width file in linux and remove a character based on a position for every record. It would highly appreciate if someone can help to automate this. Appreciate your time and help! Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a character with a number based on lines

Hi, I am in need of help for the two things which is to be done. First, I have a file that has around four columns. The first column is filled with letter "A". There are around 400 lines in the files as shown below. A 1 5.2 3.2 A 2 0.2 4.5 A 1 2.2 2.2 A 5 2.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_shell
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting based on occurence of a Character at fixed position

I have a requirement where i need to split a file based on occurence of a character which is present at a fixed position. Description is as below: 1. The file will be more than 1 Lakh records. 2. Each line will be of fixed length of 987 characters. 3. At position 28 in each line either 'C' or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
delch(3cur)															       delch(3cur)

Name
       delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove character from window

Syntax
       #include <cursesX.h>

int delch()

int wdelch(win)
       WINDOW *win;

int mvdelch(y, x)
       int y, x;

int mvwdelch(win, y, x)
       WINDOW *win;
       int y, x;

Description
       The  routine  deletes  the character under the cursor in the default window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The routine deletes the character under the cursor in the specified window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to  the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The  routine moves the cursor to the specified position in the default window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All char-
       acters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled  with  a  blank.   The
       cursor position does not change.

The  routine  moves  the  cursor  to the specified position in the specified window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All
       characters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The
       cursor position does not change.

The routines and are macros.

Return Values
       The and functions return OK on success and ERR on error.

delch(3cur)