Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: media server?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora media server? Post 302712709 by alister on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 03:49:09 PM
Old 10-09-2012
In case you aren't aware of its existence, you might be interested in XBMC. It's a mature (just celebrated its 10th birthday), popular media center app which can be installed on Ubuntu (and other unix-like systems).

You asked if your old server is too slow but neglected to provide any tech specs. I have never used XBMC myself, so even if you provide more info I cannot answer that question. A possibly quick way to find out for yourself is to download their live cd, XBMCbuntu. If the live CD works well, you can choose to install XBMCbuntu from the LiveCD or to install the XBMC package after installing Ubuntu.

Here's a short demo to give you an idea of what to expect from XBMC and a link to an article referenced by the video description:
Youtube: XBMC Media Cener Demonstration
Lifehacker: Create a Kickass, Seamless, Play-Everything Media Center: The Complete Guide

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 10-09-2012 at 05:01 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

media player

Sir, I am working with SlackWare and when i try to use media player i acnn ot make a queue of songs.There are three software.Kaboodle,naotun,xmms. I can use only Kaboodle. Yesterday i here'd songs inNaotun but today when i click it the loding symbols comes and it then quit with loading. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP Support Plus media

Hi folks, i owe a HP 9000 E55 (antique...) server. I also owe the original version of the OS HPUX 11.0. Unfortenately i can't find the HP-Support Plus medium. During the instlallation i was asked to put it in, i always skip this one. But the system runs not very well. On HP's website you can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: FNORD
8 Replies

3. SCO

Media for Informix 4.1

HI ! I NEED A MEDIA TO INSTALLING INFORMIX 4.1 IN SCO UNIX. OUR MEDIA ARE LOST AND THE SERVER IS GOING BAD ! HELP ME PLEASE ! THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomribeiro
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create a media server on Solaris 10 (Music/divx) etc

Does anyone have any good experience creating a media server on solaris 10. I want it so i can view movies and play music to my ps3. I've searched the net but keep seeing Linux info.... So I was wondering if anyone could help on the Solaris x86 side, I don't wont a virtual install of Linux on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prym_admin
3 Replies

5. SCO

openserver 5.0.6 media need

I am looking for openserver 5.0.6 media. I need build a new production server and we only have the 5.0.5 media. If anybody can help that be awesome. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stlwindadmin
9 Replies

6. SCO

5.0.2 install media

I've inherited an openserver 5.0.2 and wanted to move it to a virtualized environment - Given the server is original hardware no one knows where any of its media is. I'm hoping someone has the installation media for 5.0.2 so I can get a clean system up and running to see what if any changes will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarKnight83
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX media B.11.11

I need to reinstall The OS on rp3440 system and need HPUX B.11.11 media for risc processor. Can anyone help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lapfa01
2 Replies
uri_urn(n)					    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management						uri_urn(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uri_urn - URI utilities, URN scheme SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri::urn ?1.1.2? uri::urn::quote url uri::urn::unquote url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides two commands to quote and unquote the disallowed characters for url using the urn scheme, registers the scheme with the package uri, and provides internal helpers which will be automatically used by the commands uri::split and uri::join of package uri to handle urls using the urn scheme. COMMANDS
uri::urn::quote url This command quotes the characters disallowed by the urn scheme (per RFC 2141 sec2.2) in the url and returns the modified url as its result. uri::urn::unquote url This commands performs the reverse of ::uri::urn::quote. It takes an urn url, removes the quoting from all disallowed characters, and returns the modified urls as its result. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category uri of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
rfc 2141, uri, url, urn CATEGORY
Networking uri 1.1.2 uri_urn(n)