Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using a salt value
Top Forums Programming Using a salt value Post 302712313 by JohnGraham on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 04:43:24 AM
Old 10-09-2012
At least for passwords made with crypt() (see 'man 3 crypt'), the salt is the first two characters of the generated hash - this makes duplicates look different, while allowing easy computation when entering the password.

Here's a test program I wrote a while ago demonstrating basic use of crypt(), but still find useful - if you run it you'll notice the first two characters of the output are the two-byte salt (compile with '-lcrypt'):

Code:
#define _GNU_SOURCE

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <string.h>

#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>

char *random_salt()
{
    // Failure is fine (assume garbage on stack will do at a push).
    struct timeval tv;
    if (gettimeofday(&tv, NULL) != 0) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Warning: Could not gettimeofday: %m.\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "Just using garbage on stack as randomness.\n");
    }
    srand(tv.tv_sec + tv.tv_usec);

const char *salt_chars =
        "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
        "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
        "0123456789" "./";

static char salt[3] = "\0\0\0";

salt[0] = salt_chars[rand() % strlen(salt_chars)];
    salt[1] = salt_chars[rand() % strlen(salt_chars)];

return salt;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    if (argc != 2 && argc != 3) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Usage: crypt PASSPHRASE [SALT]\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "(If no SALT is given, a random one is chosen)\n");
        return 1;
    }

if (argc == 3 && strlen(argv[2]) != 2) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Error: salt must be 2 bytes long\n");
        return 1;
    }

char *salt = (argc == 3) ? argv[2] : random_salt();

char *pass = crypt(argv[1], salt);
    if (pass) {
        printf("%s\n", pass);
        return 0;
    } else {
        fprintf(stderr, "Error: %m\n");
        return 1;
    }
}

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is "salt character" and what does it do?

Hi, lads. Good day. I have one question to ask. I read on the Internet, for the SUSE system, the password is encrypted into 13 characters, and the first 2 characters are called salt characters? Is there any special meaning for salt? Why we need these salt characters? And, I have a look at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yjck71
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

3. Programming

4-Byte Salt (in hex) to Integer

If i have a salt that looks like this 'CFDB024F' (in hex) would the integer value be '3487236687' ? Is that correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Question about openSSL and Salt

Hey all, i have an application i am developing and i would like to use the OpenSSL des3 encryption, the only problem i am having is when i need to input the second key verification. Heres what i have so far openssl des3 -salt -in /tmp -out pwenc.z | echo 1111 usually for password verification... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: code_monkey
0 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Wordpress and Joomla hash and salt

I would like to know where the hash and salt are in Wordpress and Joomla hashes? For example: In this wordpress hash P$BTBCNLQpY5CWWQ6XC4WJ6IPJQ877s3 where the salt is? In this Joomla hash $2y$10$io60pn4npWCRWwg4308pB.4rLmfz.vFwzxzYmX6W48Ff7wTi7ZEMO where the salt is? For example (source... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freeroute
1 Replies
PASSWD(1)							      OpenSSL								 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd - compute password hashes LIBRARY
libcrypto, -lcrypto SYNOPSIS
openssl passwd [-crypt] [-1] [-apr1] [-salt string] [-in file] [-stdin] [-noverify] [-quiet] [-table] {password} DESCRIPTION
The passwd command computes the hash of a password typed at run-time or the hash of each password in a list. The password list is taken from the named file for option -in file, from stdin for option -stdin, or from the command line, or from the terminal otherwise. The Unix standard algorithm crypt and the MD5-based BSD password algorithm 1 and its Apache variant apr1 are available. OPTIONS
-crypt Use the crypt algorithm (default). -1 Use the MD5 based BSD password algorithm 1. -apr1 Use the apr1 algorithm (Apache variant of the BSD algorithm). -salt string Use the specified salt. When reading a password from the terminal, this implies -noverify. -in file Read passwords from file. -stdin Read passwords from stdin. -noverify Don't verify when reading a password from the terminal. -quiet Don't output warnings when passwords given at the command line are truncated. -table In the output list, prepend the cleartext password and a TAB character to each password hash. EXAMPLES
openssl passwd -crypt -salt xx password prints xxj31ZMTZzkVA. openssl passwd -1 -salt xxxxxxxx password prints $1$xxxxxxxx$UYCIxa628.9qXjpQCjM4a.. openssl passwd -apr1 -salt xxxxxxxx password prints $apr1$xxxxxxxx$dxHfLAsjHkDRmG83UXe8K0. 1.0.1i 2009-07-20 PASSWD(1)