Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze Post 302711615 by r4ym4r on Monday 8th of October 2012 08:53:03 AM
Old 10-08-2012
VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze

Hello everybody,

I used to log in to my office via PPTP VPN, but on last October 5th I updated my installed Debian Squeeze and it caused my VPN service (client-side) to fail. After this upgrade I'm unable to log in to the VPN server. Here follows the log:

Code:
#tail -f /var/log/messages
Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Modem hangup.
Exit.

According to the log I saved I see the following packages were upgraded:
Code:
libnm-glib-vpn1
network-manager

as well as some others (including the Linux kernel).

I reset my VPN configuration via Gnome's Network Manager without satisfactory results.

The authentication method I use is CHAPv2.

Could you please give me a hand to solve my VPN connection issue?

---------- Post updated 10-08-12 at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-07-12 at 07:09 AM ----------

Here you are some new fresh information that might be useful to debug this issue:

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/messages
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox kernel: [ 244.066976] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connection terminated.
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Exit.

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/debug
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device

I think it is specially important this part: modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device. This looks strange for me. However, I'd noticed this message appears when I open Virtual Box, look at this:

Oct 8 08:48:38 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/vboxnet0): could not get port's parent device

I don't want to deviate what I am looking to be solved, but I think the output above might be useful, too.

How to regain access to my VPN? Please suggest.

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Corporate VPN service with separate nets for different users/groups

Hi We are going to host some services for customers with separate private networks for each customer. Each customer will need one or more users. I have to put up a VPN solution, and I would like to use something that will work on "any" platform, easily, without too much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: signal
0 Replies

2. Solaris

flash update fails

Hi I am trying to update firmware of SF V440 but I am getting below error, Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.10.10, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #56988021. Ethernet address 05:30:b0:56:a1:3d, Host ID: 8356a25d. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
PON(1)								    Debian PPPD 							    PON(1)

NAME
pon, poff, plog - starts up, shuts down or lists the log of PPP connections SYNOPSIS
pon [ isp-name [ options ] ] poff [ -r ] [ -d ] [ -c ] [ -a ] [ -h ] [ isp-name ] plog [ arguments ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page describes the pon, plog and poff scripts, which allow users to control PPP connections. pon pon, invoked without arguments, runs the /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot file, if it exists and is executable. Otherwise, a PPP connection will be started using configuration from /etc/ppp/peers/provider. This is the default behaviour unless an isp-name argument is given. For instance, to use ISP configuration "myisp" run: pon myisp pon will then use the options file /etc/ppp/peers/myisp. You can pass additional pppd options after the ISP name, too. pon can be used to run multiple, simultaneous PPP connections. pon takes the following command line options: -q --quick disconnect when ip-up finishes running. This function is only available to the root user. poff poff closes a PPP connection. If more than one PPP connection exists, the one named in the argument to poff will be killed, e.g. poff myprovider2 will terminate the connection to myprovider2, and leave the PPP connections to e.g. "myprovider1" or "myprovider3" up and running. poff takes the following command line options: -r causes the connection to be redialed after it is dropped. -d toggles the state of pppd's debug option. -c causes pppd(8) to renegotiate compression. -a stops all running ppp connections. If the argument isp-name is given it will be ignored. -h displays help information. -v prints the version and exits. If no argument is given, poff will stop or signal pppd if and only if there is exactly one running. If more than one connection is active, it will exit with an error code of 1. plog plog shows you the last few lines of /var/log/ppp.log. If that file doesn't exist, it shows you the last few lines of your /var/log/syslog file, but excluding the lines not generated by pppd. This script makes use of the tail(1) command, so arguments that can be passed to tail(1) can also be passed to plog. Note: the plog script can only be used by root or another system administrator in group "adm", due to security reasons. Also, to have all pppd-generated information in one logfile, that plog can show, you need the following line in your /etc/syslog.conf file: local2.* -/var/log/ppp.log FILES
/etc/ppp/options PPPd system options file. /etc/ppp/pap-secrets System PAP passwords file. /etc/ppp/chap-secrets System CHAP passwords file. /etc/ppp/peers/ Directory holding the peer options files. The default file is called provider. /etc/chatscripts/provider The chat script invoked from the default /etc/ppp/peers/provider. /var/log/ppp.log The default PPP log file. AUTHORS
The p-commands were written by Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>. Updated and revised by Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>. This manual was written by Othmar Pasteka <othmar@tron.at>. Modified by Rob Levin <lilo@openprojects.net>, with some extensions taken from the old p-commands manual written by John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>. SEE ALSO
pppd(8), chat(8), tail(1). Debian Project July 2000 PON(1)