Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze Post 302711615 by r4ym4r on Monday 8th of October 2012 08:53:03 AM
Old 10-08-2012
VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze

Hello everybody,

I used to log in to my office via PPTP VPN, but on last October 5th I updated my installed Debian Squeeze and it caused my VPN service (client-side) to fail. After this upgrade I'm unable to log in to the VPN server. Here follows the log:

Code:
#tail -f /var/log/messages
Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Modem hangup.
Exit.

According to the log I saved I see the following packages were upgraded:
Code:
libnm-glib-vpn1
network-manager

as well as some others (including the Linux kernel).

I reset my VPN configuration via Gnome's Network Manager without satisfactory results.

The authentication method I use is CHAPv2.

Could you please give me a hand to solve my VPN connection issue?

---------- Post updated 10-08-12 at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-07-12 at 07:09 AM ----------

Here you are some new fresh information that might be useful to debug this issue:

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/messages
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox kernel: [ 244.066976] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connection terminated.
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Exit.

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/debug
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device

I think it is specially important this part: modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device. This looks strange for me. However, I'd noticed this message appears when I open Virtual Box, look at this:

Oct 8 08:48:38 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/vboxnet0): could not get port's parent device

I don't want to deviate what I am looking to be solved, but I think the output above might be useful, too.

How to regain access to my VPN? Please suggest.

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Corporate VPN service with separate nets for different users/groups

Hi We are going to host some services for customers with separate private networks for each customer. Each customer will need one or more users. I have to put up a VPN solution, and I would like to use something that will work on "any" platform, easily, without too much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: signal
0 Replies

2. Solaris

flash update fails

Hi I am trying to update firmware of SF V440 but I am getting below error, Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.10.10, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #56988021. Ethernet address 05:30:b0:56:a1:3d, Host ID: 8356a25d. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
RACOON-TOOL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    RACOON-TOOL(8)

NAME
racoon-tool - program to manage the racoon(8) IPSEC IKE daemon. SYNOPSIS
racoon-tool [-h] reload|restart|force-reload|start|stop racoon-tool [-h] sadflush|spdflush|saddump|spddump racoon-tool [-h] vpndown|vdown|vpnup|vup connection-name|all racoon-tool [-h] vpnreload|vreload connection-name|all racoon-tool [-h] vpnlist|vlist [connection-name|all] racoon-tool [-h] vpnmenu|vmenu [connection-name-regexp] racoon-tool [-h] racoonstart|racoonstop|rstart|rstop DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the racoon-tool command. racoon-tool(8) is a perl script that can be used to control the racoon(8) IKE daemon and the SPD database within the kernel via the setkey(8) command. Various operations that it can do are described below. You can also optionally choose not to use it via reconfiguring the racoon package using dpkg-reconfigure(8). OPTIONS
A summary of options are included below. -h Show summary of options. COMMANDS
start Start racoon(8), loading any needed modules, configuring the SPD, and generating a configuration from /etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf (head) and following up with *.conf files from /etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf.d/. stop Stop racoon(8) unloading any crypto/IPSEC modules, flushing the SAD and SPD. reload Regenerate configuration from /etc/racoon/racoon.conf, and /etc/racoon/racoon.conf.d/, HUP racoon(8) and reinitialise the SPD and SAD. restart|force-reload Perform a stop followed by a start sadflush Flush the SAD via setkey(8). spdflush Flush the SPD via setkey(8). saddump|dump Dump the SAD to screen via setkey(8), paginating via your pager. spddump Dump the SPD to screen via setkey(8), paginating via your pager. vpnup|vup connection-name|all Bring up the VPN connection(s). vpndown|vdown connection-name|all Take down the VPN connection(s). vpnreload|vreload connection-name|all Reload the VPN connection(s). vpnlist|vlist [connection-name|all] List the known VPN connections in /etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf, etc. Can be used by a script or administrator to see if a VPN con- nection exists. vpnmenu|vmenu [connection-name-regexp] Start the VPN menu management mode. This displays the SPD, and you can shutdown VPNs from here. Latter on support will be added for checking status and reloading the chosen connection. racoonstart|rstart Start only the racoon(8) daemon. racoonstop|rstop Stop only the racoon(8) daemon. FILES
/etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf - configuration file (head). /etc/racoon/racoon-tool.conf.d - configuration file segment directory read after the above. /var/lib/racoon/racoon.conf - generated racoon.conf SEE ALSO
racoon(8), racoon.conf(5), setkey(8), racoon-tool.conf(5). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <matthewgrant5@gmail.com>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). RACOON-TOOL(8)