Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze Post 302711615 by r4ym4r on Monday 8th of October 2012 08:53:03 AM
Old 10-08-2012
VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze

Hello everybody,

I used to log in to my office via PPTP VPN, but on last October 5th I updated my installed Debian Squeeze and it caused my VPN service (client-side) to fail. After this upgrade I'm unable to log in to the VPN server. Here follows the log:

Code:
#tail -f /var/log/messages
Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Modem hangup.
Exit.

According to the log I saved I see the following packages were upgraded:
Code:
libnm-glib-vpn1
network-manager

as well as some others (including the Linux kernel).

I reset my VPN configuration via Gnome's Network Manager without satisfactory results.

The authentication method I use is CHAPv2.

Could you please give me a hand to solve my VPN connection issue?

---------- Post updated 10-08-12 at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-07-12 at 07:09 AM ----------

Here you are some new fresh information that might be useful to debug this issue:

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/messages
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox kernel: [ 244.066976] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connection terminated.
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Exit.

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/debug
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device

I think it is specially important this part: modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device. This looks strange for me. However, I'd noticed this message appears when I open Virtual Box, look at this:

Oct 8 08:48:38 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/vboxnet0): could not get port's parent device

I don't want to deviate what I am looking to be solved, but I think the output above might be useful, too.

How to regain access to my VPN? Please suggest.

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Corporate VPN service with separate nets for different users/groups

Hi We are going to host some services for customers with separate private networks for each customer. Each customer will need one or more users. I have to put up a VPN solution, and I would like to use something that will work on "any" platform, easily, without too much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: signal
0 Replies

2. Solaris

flash update fails

Hi I am trying to update firmware of SF V440 but I am getting below error, Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.10.10, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #56988021. Ethernet address 05:30:b0:56:a1:3d, Host ID: 8356a25d. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
PPTP(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PPTP(8)

NAME
pptp - PPTP driver SYNOPSIS
pptp <pptp-server-IP> <pptp-options> [ppp-options] ... DESCRIPTION
pptp establishes the client side of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) using the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP). Use this program to connect to an employer's PPTP based VPN, or to certain cable and ADSL service providers. By default, pptp establishes the PPTP call to the PPTP server, and then starts an instance of pppd to manage the data transfer. However, pptp can also be run as a connection manager within pppd. OPTIONS
The first non-option argument on the pptp command line must be the host name or IP address of the PPTP server. All long options (starting with "--") are interpreted as pptp options, and a fatal error occurs if an unrecognised option is used. All command-line arguments which do not start with "-" are interpreted as ppp options, and passed as is to pppd unless --nolaunchpppd is given. --phone <number> Pass <number> to remote host as phone number --nolaunchpppd Do not launch pppd but use stdin as the network connection. Use this flag when including pptp as a pppd connection process using the pty option. See EXAMPLES. --quirks <quirk> Work around a buggy PPTP implementation, adopts special case handling for particular PPTP servers and ADSL modems. Currently recog- nised values are BEZEQ_ISRAEL only --debug Run in foreground (for debugging with gdb) --sync Enable Synchronous HDLC (pppd must use it too) --timeout <secs> Time to wait for reordered packets (0.01 to 10 secs) --nobuffer Completely disables buffering and reordering of packets. Any --timeout specified will be ignored. --idle-wait <secs> Time to wait before sending a control connection echo request. The RFC2637 default is 60 seconds. --max-echo-wait <secs> Time to wait for an echo reply before closing the control connection. The RFC2637 default is 60 seconds. --logstring <name> Use <name> instead of 'anon' in syslog messages --localbind <addr> Bind to specified IP address instead of wildcard --loglevel <level> Sets the debugging level (0=low, 1=default, 2=high) --test-type <n> Enable packet reordering tests that damage the integrity of the packet stream to the server. Use this only when testing servers. Zero is the default, and means that packets are sent in the correct order. A value of one (1) causes a single swap between two packets, such that the sequence numbers might be 1 2 3 4 6 5 7 8 9. A value of two (2) causes ten packets to be buffered, then sent out of order but ascending, such that the sequence numbers might be 1 2 3 4 16 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20. A value of three (3) causes ten packets to be buffered, then sent in the reverse order, like this; 1 2 3 4 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 17 18 19 20. --test-rate <n> Sets the number of packets to pass before causing a reordering test. Default is 100. Has no effect if test-type is zero. The result of test types 2 and 3 are undefined if this value is less than ten. QUIRKS
BEZEQ_ISRAEL modifies packets to interoperate with Orckit ADSL modems on the BEZEQ network in Israel. EXAMPLES
Connection to a Microsoft Windows VPN Server pppd noauth nobsdcomp nodeflate require-mppe-128 name domain\\username remotename PPTP pty "pptp 10.0.0.5 --nolaunchpppd" Note that the chap-secrets file used by pppd must include an entry for domain\username STATISTICS
The pptp process collects statistics when sending and receiving GRE packets. They are intended to be useful for debugging poor PPTP perfor- mance and for general monitoring of link quality. The statistics are cumulative since the pptp process was started. The statistics can be viewed by sending a SIGUSR1 signal to the "GRE-to-PPP Gateway" process, which will cause it to dump them to the sys- tem logs (at the LOG_NOTICE level). A better way to present the statistics to applications is being sought (e.g. SNMP?). The following statistics are collected at the time of writing (April 2003): rx accepted the number of GRE packets successfully passed to PPP rx lost the number of packets never received, and presumed lost in the network rx under win the number of packets which were duplicates or had old sequence numbers (this might be caused by a packet-reordering network if your reordering timeout is set too low) rx over win the number of packets which were too far ahead in the sequence to be reordered (might be caused by loss of more than 300 packets in a row) rx buffered the number of packets which were slightly ahead of sequence, and were either buffered for reordering, or if buffering is disabled, accepted immediately (resulting in the intermediate packets being discarded). rx OS errors the number of times where the operating system reported an error when we tried to read a packet rx truncated the number of times we received a packet which was shorter than the length implied by the GRE header rx invalid the number of times we received a packet which had invalid or unsupported flags set in the header, wrong version, or wrong protocol. rx acks the number of pure acknowledgements received (without data). Too many of these will waste bandwidth, and might be solved by tuning the remote host. tx sent the number of GRE packets sent with data tx failed the number of packets we tried to send, but the OS reported an error tx short the number of times the OS would not let us write a complete packet tx acks the number of times we sent a pure ack, without data tx oversize the number of times we couldn't send a packet because it was over PACKET_MAX bytes long round trip the estimated round-trip time in milliseconds SEE ALSO
pppd(8) Documentation in /usr/share/doc/pptp AUTHOR
This manual page was written by James Cameron <james.cameron@hp.com> from text contributed by Thomas Quinot <thomas@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. The description of the available statistics was written by Chris Wilson <chris@netservers.co.uk>. Updates for the Debian distribution by Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>. PPTP(8)