Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script foreach help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script foreach help Post 302711373 by fpmurphy on Friday 5th of October 2012 11:49:01 PM
Old 10-06-2012
Try replacing
Code:
set list= `/bin/ls *.out`

with
Code:
set list=(`/bin/ls *.out`)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach in shell scripting

I need to read list of machines from a file using foreach loop. I am trying the follwing, but its not reading the list foreach i (`cat file.lst | awk '{print $1}'`) ls -l | grep $i end here the file file.lst contains list of files Any idea whats wrong here Thanks Krisyet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisyet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell - foreach - No Match error

Hi All, I am facing 'No Match' problem with foreach loop in C shell script. Initially I tried following grep command showing results properly as shown at the end of the Thread. But foreach command is throwing the error 'No match'. grep -n Inserted audit_file foreach insertstr (`grep -n... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Integer with nested foreach

I am scripting in tcsh and here is what I currently have: foreach group (g1 g2 g3 g4) set ppl = `cat $group.file.with.list.of.ppl.in.row.format` set label = 1 @ label += 1 foreach ppls ($ppl) echo $label >> file end end ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonesy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach shell question

Hi I would like foreach to go through a range of numbers 1-365. This input is being read by a compiled fortran program in the same shell script. Let me try an example to clarify #!/bin/sh foreach i (1-365) ./data_make program <<EOF 'echo $i' /data_'echo $i' #output file I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_kowalske
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: foreach file -> targzip

Hi there, I need some help with a shell script (I'm no sh script expert, but I hope this will explain how I want my script):dir = /home/user/files/ foreach(*.jpg file in $dir) { tar -cf $file(-.jpg).tar $file;gzip $file(-.jpg).tar } mv -f $dir*tar.gz /home/user/pictures/ Thanks for any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: JKMlol
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect ssh script issue with if and foreach

Hi, I am trying to create an ssh script to login to cisco routers and activate/deactivate bgp neighbors if they match certain conditions. I dont think my "if" and "foreach" are working correctly. Any help is appreciated. Below is my script: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blahblahsomeone
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop working in terminal but not in the script

Hi, I am new here I have used the forums a long time to search for things they are very helpful. I have unfortunately used up all my resources (professors, grad students) and need some help. I have this very simple piece of code (using to isolate the problem) in a csh script: #!/bin/csh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop in unix script

Hi all, I have a script which searches for all sql files in the current directory and replaces all sql files with an underscore with a dash. The next part I need to do is record the number of changes made (underscore to dash) and display this value (e.g.2). This is what I have so far; find /... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawi
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach alternative - C shell

Hi all I wrote a foreach loop in c-shell: foreach file (/.../fileNames*) ... end The problem is that if there aren't matching files in the directory I'm getting a "foreach: No match". How can I rewrite it so the script will just skip the loop if there aren't any matching files? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somename
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use foreach with sed in a bash script

I want to extract data from a ASCII file that looks like the one provided here (see input.txt). For this purpose I used sed commands. I want to chain the sed commands into a script that I can call with custom variables, instead of having to run it multiple times (Need to run the code for 30*24 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learningtocode
1 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)