Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script foreach help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script foreach help Post 302711369 by dgrayman on Friday 5th of October 2012 10:50:34 PM
Old 10-05-2012
Error Shell script foreach help

I am writing a shell script to uncompress files in a directory, then call a Perl script to search the files for given terms, store those terms in a different output file , and compress the output. I get a syntax error with my use of foreach. Below is my script.
Code:
#!/bin/csh -fxv

if (! $#argv==1); then
    echo "[fail, not enough input arguments]"
    exit 10
else
    echo "the pitch and kinf will be stored in a new file called" $1
    echo " "
endif
rm $1

# uncompress output files in directory
set list= `/bin/ls *.out.gz`
foreach f ($list)
    gunzip $f
end

#run the pearl script on each output file and compress that file
set list= `/bin/ls *.out`
foreach i ($list)
    ./readfile.pl $i $1
    gzip $i
end

exit 0

Last edited by fpmurphy; 10-06-2012 at 12:38 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach in shell scripting

I need to read list of machines from a file using foreach loop. I am trying the follwing, but its not reading the list foreach i (`cat file.lst | awk '{print $1}'`) ls -l | grep $i end here the file file.lst contains list of files Any idea whats wrong here Thanks Krisyet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisyet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell - foreach - No Match error

Hi All, I am facing 'No Match' problem with foreach loop in C shell script. Initially I tried following grep command showing results properly as shown at the end of the Thread. But foreach command is throwing the error 'No match'. grep -n Inserted audit_file foreach insertstr (`grep -n... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Integer with nested foreach

I am scripting in tcsh and here is what I currently have: foreach group (g1 g2 g3 g4) set ppl = `cat $group.file.with.list.of.ppl.in.row.format` set label = 1 @ label += 1 foreach ppls ($ppl) echo $label >> file end end ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonesy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach shell question

Hi I would like foreach to go through a range of numbers 1-365. This input is being read by a compiled fortran program in the same shell script. Let me try an example to clarify #!/bin/sh foreach i (1-365) ./data_make program <<EOF 'echo $i' /data_'echo $i' #output file I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_kowalske
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: foreach file -> targzip

Hi there, I need some help with a shell script (I'm no sh script expert, but I hope this will explain how I want my script):dir = /home/user/files/ foreach(*.jpg file in $dir) { tar -cf $file(-.jpg).tar $file;gzip $file(-.jpg).tar } mv -f $dir*tar.gz /home/user/pictures/ Thanks for any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: JKMlol
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect ssh script issue with if and foreach

Hi, I am trying to create an ssh script to login to cisco routers and activate/deactivate bgp neighbors if they match certain conditions. I dont think my "if" and "foreach" are working correctly. Any help is appreciated. Below is my script: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blahblahsomeone
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop working in terminal but not in the script

Hi, I am new here I have used the forums a long time to search for things they are very helpful. I have unfortunately used up all my resources (professors, grad students) and need some help. I have this very simple piece of code (using to isolate the problem) in a csh script: #!/bin/csh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop in unix script

Hi all, I have a script which searches for all sql files in the current directory and replaces all sql files with an underscore with a dash. The next part I need to do is record the number of changes made (underscore to dash) and display this value (e.g.2). This is what I have so far; find /... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawi
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach alternative - C shell

Hi all I wrote a foreach loop in c-shell: foreach file (/.../fileNames*) ... end The problem is that if there aren't matching files in the directory I'm getting a "foreach: No match". How can I rewrite it so the script will just skip the loop if there aren't any matching files? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somename
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use foreach with sed in a bash script

I want to extract data from a ASCII file that looks like the one provided here (see input.txt). For this purpose I used sed commands. I want to chain the sed commands into a script that I can call with custom variables, instead of having to run it multiple times (Need to run the code for 30*24 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learningtocode
1 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)