Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH) Post 302711331 by Corona688 on Friday 5th of October 2012 06:31:30 PM
Old 10-05-2012
There is no "UNIX" to download. UNIX is to operating systems what the IEEE is to electrical sockets. It's a definition, not an actual thing. If an OS has certain features provided in a certain way, it can be certified as a UNIX one.

UNIX includes BSD, Solaris, OSX, IRIX, QNX, HP-UX, AIX, and hosts of others. Many of these can't run on a standard PC.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

2. Linux

Important Service Linux

Hi there; I need to know all the things about services which help my Linux OS running. So what're important services of LINUX OS ? Anyone can help me... Tks all ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World By John Loeffler

Nice UNIX history article by John Loeffler, February, 05th 2019 UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World The most widely used operating system in the world was a project born out of failure. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
TESTDISK(8)						       Administration Tools						       TESTDISK(8)

NAME
testdisk - Scan and repair disk partitions SYNOPSIS
testdisk [/log] [/debug] [/dump] [device|image.dd|image.e01] testdisk /version testdisk /list [/log] DESCRIPTION
TestDisk checks and recovers lost partitions It works with : - BeFS (BeOS) - BSD disklabel (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD) - CramFS, Compressed File System - DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 - HFS and HFS+, Hierarchical File System - JFS, IBM's Journaled File System - Linux ext2/ext3/ext4 - Linux Raid RAID 1: mirroring RAID 4: striped array with parity device RAID 5: striped array with distributed parity information RAID 6: striped array with distributed dual redundancy information - Linux Swap (versions 1 and 2) - LVM and LVM2, Linux Logical Volume Manager - Mac partition map - Novell Storage Services NSS - NTFS (Windows NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/...) - ReiserFS 3.5, 3.6 and 4 - Sun Solaris i386 disklabel - Unix File System UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/...) - XFS, SGI's Journaled File System It can undelete files from - DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 - Linux ext2 - NTFS (Windows NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/...) OPTIONS
/log create a testdisk.log file /debug add debug information /dump dump raw sectors /list display current partitions SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), photorec(8). AUTHOR
TestDisk 6.13, Data Recovery Utility, November 2011 Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org> http://www.cgsecurity.org 2011 November TESTDISK(8)