Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH) Post 302711325 by Linux_Guy on Friday 5th of October 2012 06:27:51 PM
Old 10-05-2012
Would Ubuntu be a bad choice if I plan on moving to Unix? Could I just install Unix and have it running in some sort of environment?

Can I just take a CD and download Unix then set it up? If so where do I end up on start?

I guess I should be asking. Could I just dive right into Unix and play around with it?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

2. Linux

Important Service Linux

Hi there; I need to know all the things about services which help my Linux OS running. So what're important services of LINUX OS ? Anyone can help me... Tks all ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World By John Loeffler

Nice UNIX history article by John Loeffler, February, 05th 2019 UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World The most widely used operating system in the world was a project born out of failure. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
File::HomeDir::Unix(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    File::HomeDir::Unix(3)

NAME
File::HomeDir::Unix - Find your home and other directories on legacy Unix SYNOPSIS
use File::HomeDir; # Find directories for the current user $home = File::HomeDir->my_home; # /home/mylogin $desktop = File::HomeDir->my_desktop; # All of these will... $docs = File::HomeDir->my_documents; # ...default to home... $music = File::HomeDir->my_music; # ...directory $pics = File::HomeDir->my_pictures; # $videos = File::HomeDir->my_videos; # $data = File::HomeDir->my_data; # DESCRIPTION
This module provides implementations for determining common user directories. In normal usage this module will always be used via File::HomeDir. SUPPORT
See the support section the main File::HomeDir module. AUTHORS
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
File::HomeDir, File::HomeDir::Win32 (legacy) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. Some parts copyright 2000 Sean M. Burke. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2012-10-19 File::HomeDir::Unix(3)