Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH) Post 302711299 by Linux_Guy on Friday 5th of October 2012 06:05:27 PM
Old 10-05-2012
What should I know when it comes to Linux vs. Unix? How far of a leap is it to really move from Linux to Unix?

Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (fill in the blank), most likely not going to get a perfect match, but I want something that kind of relates to Ubuntu rather than starting out from pure scratch. If this is even possible.

What are common mistakes or misconceptions when it comes to a beginner taking on Unix?

or even...

What pisses off Unix members the most?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

2. Linux

Important Service Linux

Hi there; I need to know all the things about services which help my Linux OS running. So what're important services of LINUX OS ? Anyone can help me... Tks all ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World By John Loeffler

Nice UNIX history article by John Loeffler, February, 05th 2019 UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World The most widely used operating system in the world was a project born out of failure. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
RUSH(8) 							      Gnurush								   RUSH(8)

NAME
rush - a restricted user shell SYNOPSIS
rush [-F STRING] [-f DIR] [-n NUM] [--forward] [-H] rush {-v | -h | --usage} DESCRIPTION
GNU rush is a restricted user shell (R-U-SH), designed for sites that provide only limited remote access to their resources. This could be Subversion or Git repositories, upload sites accessible only by Scp, or similar services. Using a sophisticated configuration file, GNU rush gives the administrator complete control over the command lines that users are able to execute, as well as over the access to and usage of system resources. Usually virtual memory, CPU time, etcetera, are determined by this system wide configuration. OPTIONS
-c COMMAND Specify a command to run. -C TEST | --security-check=TEST Configure security checks for the main configuration file. -d NUM | --debug=NUM Set debugging level. --show-default Disply the built-in default configuration. -t | --test | --lint [FILE] Run in test mode. The optional argument FILE determines the location of an alternate configuration file to be used. In case also the option '-c' is specified, then rush will emulate normal processing for the given command, but will not actually execute it. -u NAME | --user=NAME Emulate shell access by the user NAME. The option '--test' is implied. The use of this option is allowed only for root and in conjunction with the further option '-c'. -v | --version Display program version. -h | --help Display a short help message. --usage Display a concise usage summary. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for GNU Rush is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and rush programs are properly installed at your site, the command info rush should give you access to the complete manual. See also rushlast(1) and rushwho(1). AUTHOR
This text was written by Mats Erik Andersson for the Debian project, since the original source supplies a documentation only in the form of a GNU Texinfo manual. GNU Rush 1.7 December 2010 RUSH(8)