Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH) Post 302711183 by Linux_Guy on Friday 5th of October 2012 01:20:17 PM
Old 10-05-2012
Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH)

I'm learning off Linux (Ubuntu) right now. I want to move up to Unix, but I don't want to rush like I did when it came to Windows --> to Linux. What is the best Unix OS that fits in pretty well with Ubuntu.

In other words is there kind of an equal Linux with Unix?

Also what do I need to really know about Unix?

Would it be good to do Virtual Box in Linux (Ubuntu) to play around with Unix when starting out?

I'm trying to break my need of a GUI, but I would still build a GUI upon Unix to understand it. I'm just not quite sure on this. I really want an understanding Unix before I make any kind of permanent switch.

Thank you this is not important.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

2. Linux

Important Service Linux

Hi there; I need to know all the things about services which help my Linux OS running. So what're important services of LINUX OS ? Anyone can help me... Tks all ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World By John Loeffler

Nice UNIX history article by John Loeffler, February, 05th 2019 UNIX: Building The Most Important OS in the World The most widely used operating system in the world was a project born out of failure. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
GETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETUID(2)

NAME
getuid, geteuid - get user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> uid_t getuid(void); uid_t geteuid(void); DESCRIPTION
getuid() returns the real user ID of the calling process. geteuid() returns the effective user ID of the calling process. When a normal program is executed, the effective and real user ID of the process are set to the ID of the user executing the file. When a set ID program is executed the real user ID is set to the calling user and the effective user ID corresponds to the set ID bit on the file being executed. ERRORS
These functions are always successful. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD. NOTES
History In Unix V6 the getuid() call returned (euid << 8) + uid. Unix V7 introduced separate calls getuid() and geteuid(). SEE ALSO
getresuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1993-07-23 GETUID(2)