Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determining Disk Speed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Determining Disk Speed Post 302711137 by Corona688 on Friday 5th of October 2012 12:06:01 PM
Old 10-05-2012
The maximum transfer rate of SATA 2 is, ideally, around 300 megabytes per second. You're beating that by 30% in the real world so it really does look like you're getting SATA 3 speeds.

Just because a drive uses a SATA 3 port doesn't mean it's capable of its full 600 megabytes per second, of course. Whether you're reaching the true maximum speed of your drive, I can't say without knowing what it is and looking in its manual. The limits of your southbridge and memory are also important.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-05-2012 at 01:22 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

determining ethernet port speed in solaris

i purchased, what was labeled as a 4-port fast ethernet sbus card from ebay. i installed it in my ultra1, and it seems to be working fine. how can i determine if the card is infact a fast ethernet card vs. the standard ethernet 4-port card? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
7 Replies

2. AIX

AIX - Determining link speed

I am trying to find a command to return the "link" speed of the networks installed on AIX. ifconfig - gives me where the link is up and the duplex setting. I need to determine for example if the ethernet connection is 10, 100, 1000 Mbs or what the current speed is based on the network media... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlgo
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

4. Solaris

determining miniroot revision

Hi guys I have a bunch of x4100's x4140's etc with solaris 10 update4 running on them but I suspect that when a lot of these boxes were originally built, the jumpstart process used an update2 miniroot, now as far as i understand it, the miniroot used at jumpstart is the miniroot that stays on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining interface to access IP

Hello I've got a server with multiple NICS. In a script I want to log the outbound interface. Is there an easy way I can do this so that the output looks something like this: host(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): Opening connection to ... Obviously, getting the host is simple with hostname. But how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk read and write speed.

Being a novice user to linux i m little unaware of how would i check disk read write speed. One of my mate is suggesting to create a file using dd command and check how much time it takes to create a 30 gb file . I think this has a little sense however i would also like to take your reviews... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

8. Programming

determining the IP of a function

Is there a way to determine the "Instruction Pointer" of a function in c++, and if so can someone tell me? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neur0n
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best practice - determining what region you are on

Hello all, I have a question about what you think the best practice is to determine what region you are running on when you have a system setup with a DEV/TEST, QA, and PROD regions running the same scripts in all. So, when you run in DEV, you have a different directory structure, and you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rediranch
4 Replies
SIIS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   SIIS(4)

NAME
siis -- SiliconImage Serial ATA Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device siis Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): siis_load="YES" The following tunables are settable from the loader(8): hint.siis.X.msi controls Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) usage by the specified controller. hint.siisch.X.pm_level controls SATA interface Power Management for the specified channel, allowing some power to be saved at the cost of additional command latency. Possible values: 0 interface Power Management is disabled (default); 1 device is allowed to initiate PM state change, host is passive. Note that interface Power Management is not compatible with device presence detection. A manual bus reset is needed on device hot-plug. hint.siisch.X.sata_rev setting to nonzero value limits maximum SATA revision (speed). Values 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps. DESCRIPTION
This driver provides the CAM(4) subsystem with native access to the SATA ports of controller. Each SATA port is represented to CAM as a sep- arate bus with 16 targets. Most of the bus-management details are handled by the SATA-specific transport of CAM. Connected ATA disks are handled by the ATA protocol disk peripheral driver ada(4). ATAPI devices are handled by the SCSI protocol peripheral drivers cd(4), da(4), sa(4), etc. Driver features include support for Serial ATA and ATAPI devices, Port Multipliers (including FIS-based switching), hardware command queues (31 command per port), Native Command Queuing, SATA interface Power Management, device hot-plug and Message Signaled Interrupts. Same hardware is also supported by the atasiliconimage driver from ata(4) subsystem. If both drivers are loaded at the same time, this one will be given precedence as the more functional of the two. HARDWARE
The siis driver supports the following controllers: o SiI3124 o SiI3132 o SiI3531 SEE ALSO
ada(4), ata(4), cam(4), cd(4), da(4), sa(4) HISTORY
The siis driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
July 18, 2009 BSD