Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Seeing output of background process Post 302710747 by dheian on Thursday 4th of October 2012 09:05:37 PM
Old 10-04-2012
Seeing output of background process

I'm pretty sure I had the answer to this months ago and have misplaced it. Needless to say I will bookmark it this time.

I have a background process that's been running way longer than usual. It doesn't output anything to a file, so I can't 'tail -f' it. Is there a command that will enable me to see the output the process would be sending to the screen if it was not in the background?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Programming

background process

I have made a shell that accept a command and parameters. It is working properly. I have tryed to implement background process in main(). But i dont know to implement them. Can anyone give me a lille example?? #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> /* The following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badshah
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

process in background

Hi Guys, I am facing some weird problem with my shell script. The script shows up a menu and for every ontion internally calls a shell script which start/stop various servers. When I am using '&' while calling the internal shell script so that the server run in the background. For exiting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agoyal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

i gave a copy process in the background( to copy around 100GB) , while in progress, the session got terminated. when i relogged in and checked the destination folder the copying was in progress... how could it happen(copying) when the shell terminates??? :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
2 Replies

5. Solaris

background process

Hi When I run ./script.sh & the script runs in bg But when I close the telnet session, the script is killed also. any idea how to keep this script running? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output when killing a background process

I played a bit around with the Terminal and I observed something. When I start and kill a background process, there is some kind of output. After I invoked the command to start the process the first message " 13063" is directly displayed. However, after killing the process, the second message "+... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chuck Morris
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid(in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int* statPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and doesn't want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process hasn't exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs doesn't wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it isn't necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)