Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Technology Illustrated Concept Architecture of Unix Systems Post 302710437 by Perderabo on Thursday 4th of October 2012 12:51:15 PM
Old 10-04-2012
I've never seen one of these that I like and probably never will. It used to be that I could agree with one or two inner circles. But now we have virtual systems. The kernel might not be wrapped around real hardware any more.

But about your onion... the assembler is usually known as "as". You have "as" as an application program. Maybe you should move it the "assemblers and compilers" layer.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

distributers of unix systems

Well i've been looking for some unix systems to download but with all the technical stuff they talk about on the sites i think that it would be betterif i just bought oneat a store so it comeswith directions and stuff, but is there any unix system that will coincidentally run with MS-dos mode? and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shag134
1 Replies

2. SCO

Sharing unix drives from two unix systems

I have two SCO openserver systems, 1 in the US and 1 in the UK. I am setting up a vpn to connect the two local networks that also have windows pc's on them. Is there a way that either unix system can see the hard drive on the other unix system so that I can share data between them. I run a cobol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rongrout
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trivial Unix Architecture question

Hi, I am becoming very curious as to why viruses attach only Windows system and not any UNIX and Linux. Does that has to do something with the architecture or something else. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having difficulty with UNIX concept. Please help!

Hi, I would be very happy if someone could help me please. I am relatively new to UNIX, and still learning. My understanding of things are: Say I have a PC running Windows. This machine has a name. If I have 10 PC's, then I have 10 names, one for each PC. Each PC is independent of the other.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALon
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX box architecture

Hi Gurus, I am new to UNIX environment. We have our DataStage tool installed on UNIX box.We have Dev,test and Prod environments.The architecrue is as given below. Now my problem is I am not able to know what is meant by Physical name,Logical name,Cluster etc. also we need to do failover in case a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratyusha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to understand rationale of unix stream i/o concept

I am an entry level programmer with no formal training in computer science. I am trying to enhance my conceptual knowledge about operating systems in general. I have been using the C programming language on Linux systems for some time and have used the traditional unix stream I/O APIs. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaychau
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Mail concept in unix

Hi, I am new to this mail concept in unix. i have requirement to read the mail from mailbox. Now to get the mail where i have to configure the mail id and also the mail server. Kindly suggest me. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question about Unix Architecture.

I want to know the memory capacity and types of memories, processor and more... What kind of aplications this OS attends? Archicture/system classification (Hybrid, monolithic, multitasking, micro-kernel, layered, Another..? Explain it to me... I really need to understand and know that. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlissonManson
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What exactly is the concept of BITS in this unix.com forum?

Is there a detailed page on the explanation of concept behind BITS and score used in this forum. Just saw the index on my Banking page. (Clicked the Banking hyperlink below my profile name on the topmost right corner of this screen) Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
2 Replies
AS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     AS(1)

NAME
as - Mac OS X Mach-O GNU-based assemblers SYNOPSIS
as [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
The as command translates assembly code in the named files to object code. If no files are specified, as reads from stdin. All undefined symbols in the assembly are treated as global. The output of the assembly is left in the file a.out by default. The program /usr/bin/as is actually a driver that executes assemblers for specific target architectures. If no target architecture is specified, it defaults to the architecture of the host it is running on. OPTIONS
-o name Name the output file name instead of a.out. -arch arch_type Specifies the target architecture, arch_type, of the assembler to be executed. The target assemblers for each architecture are in /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/arch_type/as or /usr/local/libexec/gcc/darwin/arch_type/as. There is only one assembler for an architecture family. If the specified target architecture is a machine-specific implementation, the assembler for that architecture family is executed (e.g., /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as for -arch ppc604e). See arch(3) for the currently known arch_types. -arch_multiple Precede any displayed messages with a line stating the program name (as) and the architecture (from the -arch arch_type flag), to distinguish which architecture the error messages refer to. When the cc(1) driver program is run with multiple -arch flags, it invokes as with the -arch_multiple option. -force_cpusubtype_ALL By default, the assembler will produce the CPU subtype ALL for the object file it is assembling if it finds no implementation-spe- cific instructions. Also by default, the assembler will allow implementation-specific instructions and will combine the CPU subtype for those specific implementations. The combining of specific implementations is architecture-dependent; if some combination of instructions is not allowed, an error is generated. With the optional -force_cpusubtype_ALL flag, all instructions are allowed and the object file's CPU subtype will be the ALL subtype. If the target architecture specified is a machine-specific implementation (e.g., -arch ppc603, -arch i486), the assembler will flag as errors instructions that are not supported on that architecture, and it will produce an object file with the CPU subtype for that specific implementation (even if no implementation-specific instructions are used). -dynamic Enables dynamic linking features. This is the default. -static Causes the assembler to treat as an error any features for dynamic linking. Also causes the .text directive to not include the pure_instructions section attribute. -- Use stdin for the assembly source input. -n Instructs the assembler not to assume that the assembly file starts with a .text directive. Use this option when an output file is not to contain a (__TEXT,__text) section or this section is not to be first one in the output file. -f Fast; no need for the assembler preprocessor (``app''). The assembler preprocessor can also be turned off by starting the assembly file with "#NO_APP ". This is intended for use by compilers which produce assembly code in a strict "clean" format that specifies exactly where whitespace can go. The assembler preprocessor needs to be run on hand-written assembly files and/or files that have been preprocessed by the C preprocessor cpp. This is typically needed when assembler files are assembled through the use of the cc(1) command, which automatically runs the C preprocessor on assembly source files. The assembler preprocessor strips out excess spaces, turns single-quoted characters into a decimal constants, and turns # <number> <filename> <level> into .line <number>;.file <filename> pairs. When the assembler preprocessor has been turned off by a "#NO_APP " at the start of a file, it can be turned back on and off again with pairs of "#APP " and "#NO_APP " at the beginnings of lines. This is used by the compiler to wrap assembly statements produced from asm() statements. -g Produce debugging information for the symbolic debugger gdb(1) so that the assembly source can be debugged symbolically. The debug- ger depends on correct use of the C preprocessor's #include directive or the assembler's .include directive: Any include file that produces instructions in the (__TEXT,__text) section must be included while a .text directive is in effect. In other words, there must be a .text directive before the include, and the .text directive must still be in effect at the end of the include file. Oth- erwise, the debugger will get confused when in that assembly file. -v Display the version of the assembler (both the Mac OS X version and the GNU version it is based on). -V Print the path and the command line of the assembler the assembler driver is using. -Idir Add the directory dir to the list of directories to search for files included with the .include directive. The default place to search is the current directory. -W Suppress warnings. -L Save non-global defined labels beginning with an 'L'; these labels are normally discarded to save space in the resultant symbol ta- ble. The compiler generates such temporary labels. Assembler options for the PowerPC processors -static_branch_prediction_Y_bit Treat a single trailing '+' or '-' after a conditional PowerPC branch instruction as a static branch prediction that sets the Y-bit in the opcode. Pairs of trailing "++" or "--" always set the AT-bits. This is the default for Mac OS X. -static_branch_prediction_AT_bits Treat a single trailing '+' or '-' after a conditional PowerPC branch instruction as a static branch prediction that sets the AT- bits in the opcode. Pairs of trailing "++" or "--" always set the AT-bits but with this option a warning is issued if this syntax is used. With this flag the assembler behaves like the IBM tools. -no_ppc601 Treat any PowerPC 601 instructions as an error. Assembler options for the mc680x0 processors -mc68000 and -mc68010 Generate branches that the mc68000 and mc68010 can use (that don't use 32-bit pc-relative jumps and branches, since they are not implemented on these two processors). Not applicable on NeXT machines. -mc68020 Generate branches that use 32-bit pc-relative displacements. This is the default. FILES
a.out output file SEE ALSO
The assembler manual on line in /Developer/Documentation/DeveloperTools/Assembler The assembler source in the cctools module of the Darwin sources. cc(1), ld(1), nm(1), otool(1), arch(3), Mach-O(5) Apple Computer, Inc. May 21, 2003 AS(1)