Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Doubt about process migration Post 302709603 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 11:21:33 AM
Old 10-03-2012
That's kind of the question -- does it really need to move? Why?

The usual problem is forcing a process to not move, because doing so costs time and cache bandwidth. Pinning a long-running intensive process to one CPU can be a good improvement in performance to not just itself but other things on the system.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migration

hi, is there any tool that i can use to update my scripts (SH scripts) form Unix to linux. please mention any useful websites. thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process migration

Using binary translators, would it be possible capture the runtime image (instructions and data) of processes and translate these so that the process can run from where it left on a machine with a different architecture? This will be useful for migrating applications to heterogenous systems for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration

Hi all, Would appreciate advise on my situation. Currently server A is in production. Server A takes in data from Server X, does some processing and send to server Y. We are going to develop a different system in server B, something like an enhanced version of A. Server A will be retired once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process migration

how can i migrate a running process in unix to another node for load balancing? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aisalihu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process migration

how can i migrate a running process in unix to another node? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aisalihu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Migration unit testing process

Hi, We are doing migration from DB2 to Teradata. There are couple of things involving in the project. Please see below following order Autosys-Jil script Profile script Category1 Teradata script Data stage job script Tera data script Export files script.. Like that we have 10000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in child process

fork() system is used to create a child a process.lets consider fork() echo krace will print krace twice .if i give it in loop it will print krace 2 power n time..in this case all child and parent process executes same process ...but i want to create a four different child process to execute four... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kracekumar
4 Replies

8. Solaris

doubt regarding process usage

Is there any ways to check the process usage for specific time interval. I tried with prstat but am not able to obtain the expected result and even with /var/adm/messages also. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
12 Replies

9. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)