Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C++ application development
Top Forums Programming C++ application development Post 302709587 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 11:17:16 AM
Old 10-03-2012
The underpinnings of C++ are C. Without a thorough understanding of C, C++ will never make sense.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies
ns_thread(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				     ns_thread(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_thread - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_thread begin script ns_thread begindetached script ns_thread get ns_thread getid ns_thread wait tid ns_thread yield _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_thread begin: begins a new thread which evaluates the specified script and then exits. It returns a thread ID that must eventually be passed to ns_thread wait. (Failing to call ns_thread wait will eventually result in no new threads being created.) ns_thread begindetached: begins a detached thread that doesn't have to be (and can't be) waited for. ns_thread get: gets the thread ID of the current thread. The result is a thread ID that can be passed to ns_thread wait and may look something like "tid532". ns_thread getid: gets the thread integer number for the current thread. The result is a small integer used for identifying threads is a human-read- able way, such as "1" or "1120", for example. ns_thread wait: waits for the specified thread to exit. The tid argument is a thread ID returned by ns_thread begin or ns_thread get. ns_thread yield: causes the current thread to yield. EXAMPLES
This example is similar to the example under the ns_sockselect function of connecting to the 10 servers and waiting to service them with the ns_sockselect command. In this case, though, each connection gets it's own thread. # This is the procedure which is evaluated for each thread and # handles a single connection to host number $i proc getpage {i} { global pages # new thread will start here - first connect to host set host [format "www%2d.foo.com" $i] set fds [ns_sockopen $host 80 set r [lindex $fds 0] set w [lindex $fds 1] # next, send request 0r" puts $w "GET /index.htm HTTP/1.0 flush $w # then read page set pages($i) [read $r] # and close sockets close $w close $r # thread goes away here and other threads waiting # on ns_thread wait will wakeup } # Here's the loop which creates the threads which run getpage. for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { set tids($i) [ns_thread begin "getpage $i"] } # wait for the threads to exit and then process the pages for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { ns_thread wait $tids($i) # output page ... process the page in $pages($i) put there by other thread ... } Note that the code here is much simpler to follow than the ns_sockselect example; that's the benefit of multithreaded programming. However, it uses more resources as threads need to be created and initialized. This can be a problem if you plan to create many threads. SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
threads AOLserver 4.0 ns_thread(3aolserver)