Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Technology Illustrated Concept Architecture of Unix Systems Post 302709529 by Neo on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 10:44:51 AM
Old 10-03-2012
Concept Architecture of Unix Systems

Here is an image of a conceptual architecture for unix systems (edit - not mine or anyone's in particular - just pulled it from the net). What would you change, add or delete and why?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

distributers of unix systems

Well i've been looking for some unix systems to download but with all the technical stuff they talk about on the sites i think that it would be betterif i just bought oneat a store so it comeswith directions and stuff, but is there any unix system that will coincidentally run with MS-dos mode? and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shag134
1 Replies

2. SCO

Sharing unix drives from two unix systems

I have two SCO openserver systems, 1 in the US and 1 in the UK. I am setting up a vpn to connect the two local networks that also have windows pc's on them. Is there a way that either unix system can see the hard drive on the other unix system so that I can share data between them. I run a cobol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rongrout
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trivial Unix Architecture question

Hi, I am becoming very curious as to why viruses attach only Windows system and not any UNIX and Linux. Does that has to do something with the architecture or something else. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having difficulty with UNIX concept. Please help!

Hi, I would be very happy if someone could help me please. I am relatively new to UNIX, and still learning. My understanding of things are: Say I have a PC running Windows. This machine has a name. If I have 10 PC's, then I have 10 names, one for each PC. Each PC is independent of the other.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALon
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX box architecture

Hi Gurus, I am new to UNIX environment. We have our DataStage tool installed on UNIX box.We have Dev,test and Prod environments.The architecrue is as given below. Now my problem is I am not able to know what is meant by Physical name,Logical name,Cluster etc. also we need to do failover in case a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratyusha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to understand rationale of unix stream i/o concept

I am an entry level programmer with no formal training in computer science. I am trying to enhance my conceptual knowledge about operating systems in general. I have been using the C programming language on Linux systems for some time and have used the traditional unix stream I/O APIs. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaychau
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Mail concept in unix

Hi, I am new to this mail concept in unix. i have requirement to read the mail from mailbox. Now to get the mail where i have to configure the mail id and also the mail server. Kindly suggest me. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question about Unix Architecture.

I want to know the memory capacity and types of memories, processor and more... What kind of aplications this OS attends? Archicture/system classification (Hybrid, monolithic, multitasking, micro-kernel, layered, Another..? Explain it to me... I really need to understand and know that. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlissonManson
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What exactly is the concept of BITS in this unix.com forum?

Is there a detailed page on the explanation of concept behind BITS and score used in this forum. Just saw the index on my Banking page. (Clicked the Banking hyperlink below my profile name on the topmost right corner of this screen) Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
2 Replies
IMGSIZER(1)															       IMGSIZER(1)

NAME
imgsizer - automatically splice in height and width params for HTML IMG tags SYNOPSIS
imgsizer [-d file] [--document-root file] [-h file] [--help file] [-n] [--no-overwrite] [HTMLFile] [-v file] [--version] OPTIONS
Display version information and exit. Display usage information. Directory where absolute image filenames (i.e, ones which contain a leading "/") may be found. -n, --no-overwwrite, .SH DESCRIPTION The imgsizer script automates away the tedious task of creating and updating the extension HEIGHT and WIDTH parameters in HTML IMG tags. These parameters help many browsers (including the Netscape/Mozilla family) to multi-thread image loading, instead of having to load images in strict sequence in order to have each one's dimensions available so the next can be placed. This generally allows text on the remainder of the page to load much faster. This script will try create such attributes for any IMG tag that lacks them. It will correct existing HEIGHT and WIDTH tags unless either contains a percent (%) sign, in which case the existing dimensions are presumed to be relative and left unaltered. This script may be called with no arguments. In this mode, it filters HTML presented on stdin to HTML (unaltered except for added or cor- rected HEIGHT and WIDTH attributes) on stdout. If called with file arguments, it will attempt to transform each file in place. Each argu- ment file is not actually modified until the script completes a successful conversion pass. The -d <directory> option sets the DocumentRoot, where images with an absolute filename (i.e., ones which contain a leading "/") may be found. If none is specified, the DocumentRoot defaults to the current working directory. The -n (no-overwrite) opion prevents the program from overwriting existing width and height tags if both are present. Additional options may also be specified in the environmental variable "IMGSIZER". For example, to avoid typing "imgsizer -d /var/www/docs" each time imgsizer is invoked, you might tell sh (or one of its descendants): IMGSIZER="-d /var/www/docs"; export IMGSIZER or, if you use csh: setenv IMGSIZER "-d /var/www/docs" This script is written in Python, and thus requires a Python interpreter on the host system. It also requires either the identify(1) utili- ty distributed in the open-source ImageMagick suite of image-display and manipulation tools, or a modern version of file(1) and rdjpg- com(1). These utilities are used to extract sizes from the images; imgsizer itself has no knowledge of graphics formats. The script will handle any image format known to identify(1) including PNG, GIF, JPEG, XBM, XPM, PostScript, BMP, TIFF, and anything else even remotely likely to show up as an inline image. NOTE
The -q, -l, and -m options of the 1.0 versions are gone. What they used to do has been made unnecessary by smarter logic. BUGS
The code uses regular expressions rather than true HTML/XML parsing. Some perverse but legal constructions, like extraneous space within quoted numeric attributes, will be mangled. AUTHOR
Originally created by Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>. Additional code contributed by Erik Rossen, Michael C. Toren <michael@toren.net>, and others. For updates, see <http://www.catb.org/~esr: http://www.catb.org/~esr> SEE ALSO
identify(1), file(1), rdjpgcom(1). IMGSIZER(1)