Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux sort command
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions linux sort command Post 302708535 by bartus11 on Monday 1st of October 2012 05:48:20 PM
Old 10-01-2012
I think it can't be achieved with single sort run. This works, but I don't know if it is not too complicated for your course. Anyway here it is:
Code:
awk '{print $2}' filename | sort | uniq | while read last_name; do awk -vn=$last_name '$2==n' filename | sort -k1; done

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Sort command

Hello! Can anybody explain in laymen terms what the (+) option in the sort command for Linux does? Please. Thanks in advance!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itisijayare
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in unix vs. linux sort

Hi, I am using some codes that have been ported from unix to linux, and now the sorting no longer results in the desired ordering. I'm hoping to find a way to mimic the unix sort command in linux. The input file is structured the following: $> cat file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj.schaeffer
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to sort out... Possible use of sort command

I have an input like 4.3.6.66 4.3.6.67 4.3.6.70 4.3.6.25 4.3.6.15 4.3.6.54 4.3.6.44 4.3.6.34 4.3.6.24 4.3.6.14 4.3.6.53 4.3.6.43 4.3.6.49 4.3.6.33 4.3.6.52 4.3.6.19 4.3.6.58 4.3.6.42 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
5 Replies

7. Linux

sort command in centos linux os

Iam working on centos os. Iam not able to sort records without option Please help me out Jayaprakash B. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpachar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX SORT command chops results

I am trying to sort a file . The file looks like this: DDFF 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFQ 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFX 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDUA 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load My command: sort -k1 /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt -o /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt The results are OK except for one line where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yahalom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort in Linux

Hi everyone, I have a text file with this following format: w m a c G + V b y + d f e t I'd like to sort it to a file with the following format (same number of lines, same number of fields, but all fields are sorted alphabetically) G V a b c + d e f + m t w y I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roseriver
7 Replies
SLABTOP(1)							Linux User's Manual							SLABTOP(1)

NAME
slabtop - display kernel slab cache information in real time SYNOPSIS
slabtop [ options ] DESCRIPTION
slabtop(1) displays detailed kernel slab cache information in real time. It displays a listing of the top caches sorted by one of the listed sort criteria. It also displays a statistics header filled with slab layer information. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of slabtop(1) does not require any options. The behavior, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the following flags: --delay=n, -d n Refresh the display every n seconds. By default, slabtop(1) refreshes the display every three seconds. To exit the program, hit q. --sort=S, -s S Sort by S, where S is one of the sort criteria. --once, -o Display the output once and then exit. --version, -V Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit. SORT CRITERIA
The following are valid sort criteria used to sort the individual slab caches and thereby determine what are the "top" slab caches to dis- play. The default sort criteria is to sort by the number of objects ("o"). The sort criteria can also be changed while slabtop is running by pressing the associated character. a: sort by number of active objects b: sort by objects per slab c: sort by cache size l: sort by number of slabs v sort by number of active slabs n: sort by name o: sort by number of objects p: sort by pages per slab s: sort by object size u: sort by cache utilization COMMANDS
slabtop(1) accepts keyboard commands from the user during use. The following are supported. In the case of letters, both cases are accepted. Each of the valid sort characters are also accepted, to change the sort routine. See the section SORT CRITERIA. <SPACEBAR> Refresh the screen. Q Quit the program. FILES
/proc/slabinfo -- slab information SEE ALSO
free(1), ps(1), top(1), vmstat(8) NOTES
Currently, slabtop(1) requires a 2.4 or later kernel (specifically, a version 1.1 or later /proc/slabinfo). Kernel 2.2 should be supported in the future. The slabtop statistic header is tracking how many bytes of slabs are being used and it not a measure of physical memory. The 'Slab' field in the /proc/meminfo file is tracking information about used slab physical memory. AUTHORS
Written by Chris Rivera and Robert Love. slabtop(1) was inspired by Martin Bligh's perl script, vmtop. The procps package is maintained by Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net>. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net>. Linux 13 Sep 2003 SLABTOP(1)