Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux sort command
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions linux sort command Post 302708521 by demet8 on Monday 1st of October 2012 05:32:31 PM
Old 10-01-2012
linux sort command

This is the question being asked: (Sort your data file by last name first, then by the first name second - save as first_last.) I am not quite sure of the type of sort I am being asked to perform. I have read the man pages of the sort command a few times, as well as searching online for possible solutions and I have found neither. Here's an example file with which I have come up with to try and solve the above:

sort -nrk3 phone_list.txt > first_last
Mark Jacobs 01
Mark Davis 03
Kerry Wild 05
Parker Jacobs 08

Valencia Community College. Orlando, FL USA. Prof. D. Weeks. COP-2341-12143.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Sort command

Hello! Can anybody explain in laymen terms what the (+) option in the sort command for Linux does? Please. Thanks in advance!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itisijayare
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in unix vs. linux sort

Hi, I am using some codes that have been ported from unix to linux, and now the sorting no longer results in the desired ordering. I'm hoping to find a way to mimic the unix sort command in linux. The input file is structured the following: $> cat file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj.schaeffer
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to sort out... Possible use of sort command

I have an input like 4.3.6.66 4.3.6.67 4.3.6.70 4.3.6.25 4.3.6.15 4.3.6.54 4.3.6.44 4.3.6.34 4.3.6.24 4.3.6.14 4.3.6.53 4.3.6.43 4.3.6.49 4.3.6.33 4.3.6.52 4.3.6.19 4.3.6.58 4.3.6.42 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
5 Replies

7. Linux

sort command in centos linux os

Iam working on centos os. Iam not able to sort records without option Please help me out Jayaprakash B. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpachar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX SORT command chops results

I am trying to sort a file . The file looks like this: DDFF 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFQ 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFX 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDUA 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load My command: sort -k1 /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt -o /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt The results are OK except for one line where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yahalom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort in Linux

Hi everyone, I have a text file with this following format: w m a c G + V b y + d f e t I'd like to sort it to a file with the following format (same number of lines, same number of fields, but all fields are sorted alphabetically) G V a b c + d e f + m t w y I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roseriver
7 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)