Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Best way to go about this?
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Best way to go about this? Post 302706909 by stevensw on Thursday 27th of September 2012 03:47:35 PM
Old 09-27-2012
Best way to go about this?

I am processing a very large file, which is a text csv report of a database.

I would like to parse this csv file into a bunch of XML files.

I am trying to decide the most efficient way to go about doing this.

Should I open all the XML files at the same time, and as I encounter data I write to whichever descriptor? This approach would only require iterating through the csv file once. But I would be maintaining a bunch of descriptors at the same time, is that efficient?

Should I open and close a descriptor each time I need to write a piece of information to one of the XML files? This approach would also only require iterating through the csv file once. But I would be constantly opening and closing descriptors.

Should I fill out each XML file one at a time, iterating through the whole csv file each time?

Help much appreciated.

PROCESSCSV.PY(1)					      Virtualization Support						  PROCESSCSV.PY(1)

NAME
processcsv.py - process virt-top CSV files SUMMARY
virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv DESCRIPTION
virt-top is a top(1)-like utility for showing stats of virtualized domains. processcsv.py is a simple Python script that post-processes the output of "virt-top --csv". It is used like this: virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv The second command will overwrite the following files in the current directory: "global.csv" This contains the global (host) statistics columns from the CSV file. "domainNN.csv" (multiple files) For each libvirt domain ID NN, a file is created containing the per-domain statistics from the CSV file. SEE ALSO
virt-top(1) AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2007-2012 Red Hat Inc., Richard W.M. Jones http://libvirt.org/ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. virt-top-1.0.8 2013-12-29 PROCESSCSV.PY(1)