Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk search/replace specific field, using variables for regexp & subsitution then overwrite file Post 302704405 by elixir_sinari on Friday 21st of September 2012 02:20:16 PM
Old 09-21-2012
Please post:
1) sample of $USERDUMP,
2) contents of $SERVER_LIST,
3) sample of $DATADUMP.$LOOP_LIST (at least 1 file), and
4) sample output.

This will be very much helpful to people to provide an efficient solution to your problem.
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace using awk with variables

Hi, I have been trying to use awk with variables that needs to search for a pattern and replace it with another pattern, the patterns are supplied in a variable. I have tried several different ways without success and hope that someone can help me. Here are the details echo $UPC 07007457809... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace and overwrite file

hi, i am doing awk '{gsub("hello", "bye", $0); print}' test.dat but I want to actually store the results of this global change into the file test.dat itself, i.e. I don't want the results to come to stdout, I want the results to overwrite the initial file how can I do this? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace field

I am writing a c++ program that has many calls of pow(input,2). I now realize that this is slowing down the program and these all should be input * input for greater speed. There should be a simple way of doing this replacement throughout my file with awk, but I am not very familiar with awk.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluejayek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to replace specific field with new value

I need to replace specific field (x) in a table with new value (y): Input: 1 2 3 4 5 x 6 7 8 9 0 0 Output: 1 2 3 4 5 y 6 7 8 9 0 0 I have no idea how to do this. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: setepo
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK How to replace a field using 2 shell variables?

Hello everybody: I want to replace any field $2 of any file line (f.i. test.txt) matching $1 with a shell variable. $ cat test.txt F 0 B A H -12.33 Now I'm going to ask the value of variable B: $ SEARCHVAR=B $ OLDVAL=$(awk -v SEARCHVAR="$SEARCHVAR"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: basalt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced AWK Regexp substring to int & Replace

Hi! I have a difficult problem, to step up a unknown version number in a text file, and save the file. It would be great to run script.sh and the version gets increased. Example the content of the textfile.txt hello version = x bye This include three steps 1. First find the char after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beachboy72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace in a targeted field instead of $0

Hi I would like to apply this gawk command: gawk '{$0=gensub(/\y+\y/,"","g"); print}' file not to the whole $0 but just to the part of $0 that is between: (a number)"> and </mrk> Is it possible? thanks for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace a specific field in certain condition

Hi, I have a file like below PRUM,67016800 ,CC ,C1,67016800 , ,Y,Y,2 ,CK,BX,FOX ,00000001,EA,00000001,20141120 00:00:00, ,N,Y,Y,CK ABCDEF... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to assign points to variables based on conditions and update specific field

I have been reading old posts and trying to come up with a solution for the below: Use a tab-delimited input file to assign point to variables that are used to update a specific field, Rank. I really couldn't find too much in the way of assigning points to variable, but made an attempt at an awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
xlhtml(1)						      General Commands Manual							 xlhtml(1)

NAME
xlhtml - A program for converting Microsoft Excel Files .xls SYNOPSIS
xlhtml [-a] [-asc] [-csv] [-xml] [-bcNNNNNN] [-bi/path] [-c] [-dp] [-v] [-fw] [-m] [-nc] [-nh] [-tcNNNNNN] [-te] [-xc:N-N] [-xp:N] [-xr:N- N] FILE DESCRIPTION
This manual page explains the xlhtml program. The program xlhtml is used to convert Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet files into either html or tab delimitted ASCII. The program can be interfaced with helper scripts for viewing email attachments. Most use of this program is through the helper scripts and one would probably rarely resort to using the commandline interface. OPTIONS
-a aggressively optimize html by removing </TR> </TD> or VALIGN="bottom". Some older browsers may not display properly in this mode. -asc Ascii out of -dp and extraction data (-xc, -xp, -xr) -csv Output in Comma Separated Values of -dp and extraction data (-xc, -xp, -xr) -xml Output in XML of -dp and extraction data (-xc, -xp, -xr) -bc Override the background color. e.g. -bc808080 for gray -bi Use background image. e.g. -bi/home/httpd/icon/tar.gif -c Centers the tables horizontally -dp Dump page count and max columns and rows per page -v Prints program version -fw suppress formula warnings about accuracy -m No encoding for multibyte -nc tells it not to colorize the output. -nh Suppress header and body tags in html output -tc Override the text color. e.g. -tcFF0000 for red -te Trims empty rows & columns at the edges of a worksheet -xc Columns (separated by a dash) for extraction (zero based) -xp Page for extraction (zero based), one page only -xr Rows (separated by a dash) to be extracted (zero based) An example of the extraction command line is: xlhtml -fw -asc -xp:0 -xr:2-6 -xc:0-1 Test.xls The extraction output is: Formatted output of cells by column left to right, columns separated by a tab, end of row is: 0x0A, end of file: AUTHOR
Steve Grubb, Charles N Wyble xlhtml May 15, 2002 xlhtml(1)