Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script advice
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script advice Post 302704367 by davidra on Friday 21st of September 2012 12:52:19 PM
Old 09-21-2012
Script advice

All

I have 2 parent directories - input and output. Each parent has multiple sub-directories...each sub-directory has multiple files. Each parent directory structure is a mirror image of itself

I need to poll the imput directory and if a new file is found, encrypt the file, move the file to its mirror image (output directory) and then delete itself from the input directory

I apprciate I can use cron to poll the directories and use find to list the files but what would be an elagant solution to this request.

This is what I think I can do so-far .....

<at parent directory>find . -type f -mtime -l -exec <encript file> | -exec mv
... but how do I mv the file to its mirror image directory location ?

Any advise / solution would be great

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

c-shell script advice please.

Hi, I have the following script running in my cron. -------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/csh bnstat -p GPD_VSLinux | grep pg | grep varcon | awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10}' > /tmp/LX_xbatch.log bnstat -p GPD_VSLinux_test | grep pg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

first script. need help and advice.

Hello everyone, This is my first post here and this is the first time I am using UNIX OS (Slackware). I find it really useful and powerful and would like to master it but as you may guess I am expreicing quite a few problems. I've been reading a few documentations about it and bash this week... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice on Script

I would like some advice on how to logically put together a script to handle a daily task of data gathering for the following problem. I have two files, file1 has 125,000 records that I cut and remove unwanted fields through scripts and cron. In file2, I have 25000 records that has the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greengrass
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Advice please?

Ok. I want to parse a log file and search only for denied traffic for the previous hour. The log looks like this: Jun 18 17:47:56 routername 36806: Jun 18 17:53:01.088: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOG: list ingress-filter denied tcp 1.2.3.4(1234) -> 6.7.8.9(53), 4 packets I only really care about the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Help/Advice

Alright, I feel like I have a pretty good basic knowledge of shell scripting, but this one is throwing me for a loop. I know I've seen something similar done with awk, but I couldn't find it with the search function. I've grepped through my log file and get results like this: --... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

advice on shell script

Hello, I have this script running on cron every 20 minutes. By 12pm daily, our system is expecting all input files to be uploaded by the script. After this cutoff time, the script would still be running though, but i need some kind of alerts/logs to know which input files weren't received for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for optimization advice on a short script

I already have a solution to my problem, but I'm looking to see if it can be made more succinct and faster. The problem: given a list, as shown below, extract the pathname for any file in a directory named 'ample' and return it's index into the list. The index is also in the data itself. Note that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prigo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice on script

Hi folks, I use following script:- #!/bin/sh # cd Linbread TODAY=`date +"%m%d"` DATA=`grep $TODAY linbread.dat` HOUR=`date +"%H"` if then TOD="Morning" elif then TOD="Afternoon" else TOD="Evening" fi echo $DATA | gawk -F"|" '{printf("%s\n\n%s",$2,$3)}' > $$tmp fold -s -w60... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice on approach for script

Greetings all. I have a repository server which receives, without exhaggeration, several million files a week. The majority of these files are in .csv format, which means they're highly compressable. They are spread throughout numerous directories where there are configured monitoring utilities... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Advice on a backup script, maybe one is out there already?

Hi, Not sure whether this is the right place to post it. I decided to post it here 'coz Advanced and Expert users will most likely have the answer to what I am looking for. I want to backup scripts that I have access to to a tar file file and zip it. At the moment I am creating a directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)