Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: du and dfspace reporting
Operating Systems SCO du and dfspace reporting Post 302704077 by dextergenious on Friday 21st of September 2012 02:39:11 AM
Old 09-21-2012
> Fsck - reporting O.K.

> filesystems :

/stand (/dev/boot) - eafs
/ (/dev/root) - vxfs

> I haven't booted from live media yet and cannot report du of that.

Inspite of fsck O.K. and no opened files, what can be the reason for getting 26 gb extra ?

-----------------
Dexter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. SCO

regarding dfspace

hi, i m having a sco unix system...i want to store the output of dfspace command ie %free space of each partition to different variable so that i can use it for further processing.......can anybody pls help me out thx girish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error reporting script

I am very new to unix/linux and am unsure how to do the following tasks within my script 1) append a log file and add a timestamped echo "Error occured" to it, if posibble to print it to file and on screen at the same time would be even better. 2) As my main script will be calling on a couple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamwick
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Hi. How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such. Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting lines above a particular pattern

Below is a typical report each of the lines represent the fields in the report component1 component2 <pattern> .. .. n lines ... .. VIOL = 2 the command should display component1 component2 VIOL = 2 only if pattern field of the report is "good" component1 and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
8 Replies
MKSWAP(8)						       System Administration							 MKSWAP(8)

NAME
mkswap - set up a Linux swap area SYNOPSIS
mkswap [options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file. The device argument will usually be a disk partition (something like /dev/sdb7) but can also be a file. The Linux kernel does not look at partition IDs, but many installation scripts will assume that partitions of hex type 82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap partitions. (Warning: Solaris also uses this type. Be careful not to kill your Solaris partitions.) The size parameter is superfluous but retained for backwards compatibility. (It specifies the desired size of the swap area in 1024-byte blocks. mkswap will use the entire partition or file if it is omitted. Specifying it is unwise -- a typo may destroy your disk.) After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command to start using it. Usually swap areas are listed in /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time by a swapon -a command in some boot script. WARNING
The swap header does not touch the first block. A boot loader or disk label can be there, but it is not a recommended setup. The recom- mended setup is to use a separate partition for a Linux swap area. mkswap, like many others mkfs-like utils, erases the first partition block to make any previous filesystem invisible. However, mkswap refuses to erase the first block on a device with a disk label (SUN, BSD, ...) and on a whole disk (e.g. /dev/sda). OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device (if it is a block device) for bad blocks before creating the swap area. If any bad blocks are found, the count is printed. -f, --force Go ahead even if the command is stupid. This allows the creation of a swap area larger than the file or partition it resides on. Also, without this option, mkswap will refuse to erase the first block on a device with a partition table and on a whole disk (e.g. /dev/sda). -L, --label label Specify a label for the device, to allow swapon by label. -p, --pagesize size Specify the page size (in bytes) to use. This option is usually unnecessary; mkswap reads the size from the kernel. -U, --uuid UUID Specify the UUID to use. The default is to generate a UUID. -v, --swapversion 1 Specify the swap-space version. (This option is currently pointless, as the old -v 0 option has become obsolete and now only -v 1 is supported. The kernel has not supported v0 swap-space format since 2.5.22 (June 2002). The new version v1 is supported since 2.1.117 (August 1998).) -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. NOTES
The maximum useful size of a swap area depends on the architecture and the kernel version. It is roughly 2GiB on i386, PPC, m68k and ARM, 1GiB on sparc, 512MiB on mips, 128GiB on alpha, and 3TiB on sparc64. For kernels after 2.3.3 (May 1999) there is no such limitation. Note that before version 2.1.117 the kernel allocated one byte for each page, while it now allocates two bytes, so that taking into use a swap area of 2 GiB might require 2 MiB of kernel memory. Presently, Linux allows 32 swap areas (this was 8 before Linux 2.4.10 (Sep 2001)). The areas in use can be seen in the file /proc/swaps (since 2.1.25 (Sep 1997)). mkswap refuses areas smaller than 10 pages. If you don't know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not -- the con- tents of this file depend on architecture and kernel version). To set up a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before initializing it with mkswap, e.g. using a command like # dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536 Note that a swap file must not contain any holes (so, using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable). SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), swapon(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkswap command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 2009 MKSWAP(8)