Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix/Linux/BSD
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Unix/Linux/BSD Post 302703911 by OGPartition on Thursday 20th of September 2012 02:17:10 PM
Old 09-20-2012
Dont know much about booting from external HD or if your computer will even allow it. You probably want to try installing/booting from a USB drive to test the OS out. There are instructions on their site as to how to do so.
This User Gave Thanks to OGPartition For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux + bsd + solaris

I prepare to install linux distros , freebsd and solaris(totally 6 OS) in a 40G harddisk, but I fail to do it, so I would like to ask some question here. Can different distros share the same linux swap?or each distros need to have their own? I made 6 partitions(5 x 7G , 1 x 4G) and 256M(I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcheng
8 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

4. BSD

Sys V or BSD derivated UNIX

I read it was possible to distinguish if UNIX system on the machine is derivated from Sys V or BSD. The instruction said: ps -ef ... is functional on Sys V ps ax ... is functional on BSD But since I don't have any UNIX machine (just Linux) I can't tell how I may use this knowledge in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
5 Replies

5. Programming

Linux BSD sockets blocking issue

I am using BSD TCP sockets under Debian Linux 2.6 and no matter what I do, the socket blocks on recv. I have set O_NONBLOCK and O_NDELAY using fcntl to no effect. Any ideas ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmb
3 Replies

6. Programming

C programming on Linux/BSD : which tools to use?

Hello there, i've lurked this forum for a while (in few month i will have been registered for two years) but this is my firts post. Well, after having looked to C language as a black monster, i finally have decided to learn it, and to learn it very well! So, i'm quite new to C, although i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freddie
1 Replies
BOOT0CFG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       BOOT0CFG(8)

NAME
boot0cfg -- boot manager installation/configuration utility SYNOPSIS
boot0cfg [-Bv] [-b boot0] [-d drive] [-e bell character] [-f file] [-i volume-id] [-m mask] [-o options] [-s slice] [-t ticks] disk DESCRIPTION
The FreeBSD 'boot0' boot manager permits the operator to select from which disk and slice an i386 machine (PC) is booted. Note that what are referred to here as ``slices'' are typically called ``partitions'' in non-BSD documentation relating to the PC. Typi- cally, only non-removable disks are sliced. The boot0cfg utility optionally installs the 'boot0' boot manager on the specified disk; and allows various operational parameters to be con- figured. On PCs, a boot manager typically occupies sector 0 of a disk, which is known as the Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR contains both code (to which control is passed by the PC BIOS) and data (an embedded table of defined slices). The options are: -B Install the 'boot0' boot manager. This option causes MBR code to be replaced, without affecting the embedded slice table. -b boot0 Specify which 'boot0' image to use. The default is /boot/boot0 which will use the video card as output, alternatively /boot/boot0sio can be used for output to the COM1 port. (Be aware that nothing will be output to the COM1 port unless the modem signals DSR and CTS are active.) -d drive Specify the drive number used by the PC BIOS in referencing the drive which contains the specified disk. Typically this will be 0x80 for the first hard drive, 0x81 for the second hard drive, and so on; however any integer between 0 and 0xff is acceptable here. -e bell character Set the character to be printed in case of input error. -f file Specify that a backup copy of the preexisting MBR should be written to file. This file is created if it does not exist, and replaced if it does. -i volume-id Specifies a volume-id (in the form XXXX-XXXX) to be saved at location 0x1b8 in the MBR. This information is sometimes used by NT, XP and Vista to identify the disk drive. The option is only compatible with version 2.00 of the 512-byte boot block. -m mask Specify slices to be enabled/disabled, where mask is an integer between 0 (no slices enabled) and 0xf (all four slices enabled). Each mask bit enables corresponding slice if set to 1. The least significant bit of the mask corresponds to slice 1, the most sig- nificant bit of the mask corresponds to slice 4. -o options A comma-separated string of any of the following options may be specified (with ``no'' prepended as necessary): packet Use the disk packet (BIOS INT 0x13 extensions) interface, as opposed to the legacy (CHS) interface, when doing disk I/O. This allows booting above cylinder 1023, but requires specific BIOS support. The default is 'packet'. setdrv Forces the drive containing the disk to be referenced using drive number definable by means of the -d option. The default is 'nosetdrv'. update Allow the MBR to be updated by the boot manager. (The MBR may be updated to flag slices as 'active', and to save slice selection information.) This is the default; a 'noupdate' option causes the MBR to be treated as read-only. -s slice Set the default boot selection to slice. Values between 1 and 4 refer to slices; a value of 5 refers to the option of booting from a second disk. The special string ``PXE'' or a value of 6 can be used to boot via PXE. -t ticks Set the timeout value to ticks. (There are approximately 18.2 ticks per second.) -v Verbose: display information about the slices defined, etc. FILES
/boot/boot0 The default 'boot0' image /boot/boot0sio Image for serial consoles (COM1,9600,8,N,1,MODEM) EXIT STATUS
The boot0cfg utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To boot slice 2 on the next boot: boot0cfg -s 2 ada0 To enable just slices 1 and 3 in the menu: boot0cfg -m 0x5 ada0 To go back to non-interactive booting, use fdisk(8) to install the default MBR: fdisk -B ada0 SEE ALSO
geom(4), boot(8), fdisk(8), gpart(8) AUTHORS
Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
Use of the 'packet' option may cause 'boot0' to fail, depending on the nature of BIOS support. Use of the 'setdrv' option with an incorrect -d operand may cause the boot0 code to write the MBR to the wrong disk, thus trashing its previ- ous content. Be careful. BSD
October 1, 2013 BSD