Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix/Linux/BSD
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Unix/Linux/BSD Post 302703805 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of September 2012 11:38:11 AM
Old 09-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindful123
It seems to me that you can download and burn the installation files to CD.
This is usually an option, yes.

You can also download images for things called livecd's, which boot a complete UNIX system from CDROM without having to install anything on your hard drive. They don't save changes across reboot, of course -- the CD image can't be changed once burned -- but they can be a relatively safe way to introduce yourself to a system. They're also handy rescue disks.
Quote:
Just wondering whether you can install BSD in external hard drive, so I don't need to install another internal hard drive for specific to Unix system running.
This depends a lot on the computer. Some do a good job of booting from USB, some don't.
Quote:
Is there installation instruction after downloading it to the hard drive?
Probably, but which instructions you need really depend which distro you pick. UNIX is alike in the sense that it provides a similar environment when installed, not that it's installed or managed the same way across the board. Installation and management actually vary quite a lot across different UNIX varieties.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-20-2012 at 01:09 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux + bsd + solaris

I prepare to install linux distros , freebsd and solaris(totally 6 OS) in a 40G harddisk, but I fail to do it, so I would like to ask some question here. Can different distros share the same linux swap?or each distros need to have their own? I made 6 partitions(5 x 7G , 1 x 4G) and 256M(I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcheng
8 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

4. BSD

Sys V or BSD derivated UNIX

I read it was possible to distinguish if UNIX system on the machine is derivated from Sys V or BSD. The instruction said: ps -ef ... is functional on Sys V ps ax ... is functional on BSD But since I don't have any UNIX machine (just Linux) I can't tell how I may use this knowledge in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
5 Replies

5. Programming

Linux BSD sockets blocking issue

I am using BSD TCP sockets under Debian Linux 2.6 and no matter what I do, the socket blocks on recv. I have set O_NONBLOCK and O_NDELAY using fcntl to no effect. Any ideas ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmb
3 Replies

6. Programming

C programming on Linux/BSD : which tools to use?

Hello there, i've lurked this forum for a while (in few month i will have been registered for two years) but this is my firts post. Well, after having looked to C language as a black monster, i finally have decided to learn it, and to learn it very well! So, i'm quite new to C, although i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freddie
1 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)