Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I search and change an specific string in a file Post 302703777 by Don Cragun on Thursday 20th of September 2012 11:12:21 AM
Old 09-20-2012
Do the lines to be changed always have 9 fields, or do we have to handle any line with an odd number (greater than or equal to 5) fields?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a specific string

Hi, I have following requirement. Pls suggest. To search a string in a file which is combination of character and number(always 9 digit, but numeric). if found then caputure the exit return code as 0 else 1 , if 0 then next job can be triggerd. If exit code is 1, should return a failure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to search specific string in a log

Hi, I have a log file containing below data 12/3/14 12:43:59 AM WIT |Performance threshold: elapsed time = 3152... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csm231
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific string logfile specific date range

Hi, I have logfile like this.. === 2014-02-09 15:46:59,936 INFO RequestContext - URL: '/eyisp/sc/skins/EY/images/pickers/comboBoxPicker_Over.png', User-Agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko': Unsupported with Accept-Encoding header === 2015-02-09... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishk
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to change values after a specific string

Hello I have a script that searches a file for a specific string and then changes the nth column after that string. I have searched online for how to do this with sed but have not seemed to find a solution that works for me. I am using bash. Some background info: - Currently I am using awk to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change some string in specific column with space

Hello All of Master Script , i need help to solve my problem before : mount /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /vol/cl123/PURGE1 ufs mount /dev/rdsk/c1t70d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t70d0s6 /vol/cl123/PURGE2 ufs expected : mount /dev/dsk/c1t69d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c1t69d0s6 /PURGE1 ufs mount ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k0p0nkkk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a file and change another in the line

I did it myself (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
GETCPU(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETCPU(2)

NAME
getcpu - determine CPU and NUMA node on which the calling thread is running SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/getcpu.h> int getcpu(unsigned *cpu, unsigned *node, struct getcpu_cache *tcache); Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES. DESCRIPTION
The getcpu() system call identifies the processor and node on which the calling thread or process is currently running and writes them into the integers pointed to by the cpu and node arguments. The processor is a unique small integer identifying a CPU. The node is a unique small identifier identifying a NUMA node. When either cpu or node is NULL nothing is written to the respective pointer. The third argument to this system call is nowadays unused, and should be specified as NULL unless portability to Linux 2.6.23 or earlier is required (see NOTES). The information placed in cpu is guaranteed to be current only at the time of the call: unless the CPU affinity has been fixed using sched_setaffinity(2), the kernel might change the CPU at any time. (Normally this does not happen because the scheduler tries to minimize movements between CPUs to keep caches hot, but it is possible.) The caller must allow for the possibility that the information returned in cpu and node is no longer current by the time the call returns. RETURN VALUE
On success, 0 is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT Arguments point outside the calling process's address space. VERSIONS
getcpu() was added in kernel 2.6.19 for x86_64 and i386. CONFORMING TO
getcpu() is Linux specific. NOTES
Linux makes a best effort to make this call as fast possible. The intention of getcpu() is to allow programs to make optimizations with per-CPU data or for NUMA optimization. Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2); or use sched_getcpu(3) instead. The tcache argument is unused since Linux 2.6.24. In earlier kernels, if this argument was non-NULL, then it specified a pointer to a caller-allocated buffer in thread-local storage that was used to provide a caching mechanism for getcpu(). Use of the cache could speed getcpu() calls, at the cost that there was a very small chance that the returned information would be out of date. The caching mechanism was considered to cause problems when migrating threads between CPUs, and so the argument is now ignored. SEE ALSO
mbind(2), sched_setaffinity(2), set_mempolicy(2), sched_getcpu(3), cpuset(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-04-03 GETCPU(2)