Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix/Linux/BSD
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Unix/Linux/BSD Post 302703533 by mindful123 on Thursday 20th of September 2012 01:23:39 AM
Old 09-20-2012
I don't have words to thank both of you enough for guiding me with sincerity in the selection of Unix\Linux system.

I have started learning Python and Ruby as well.

After a few search I have a found this link tech-faq.com/where-to-download-unix where you can download different types of Unix\Linux. As you mentioned that OpenBSD or FreeBSD has more advantages, however you can always explore to other one.

it seems to me that you can download and burn the installation files to CD. Just wondering whether you can install BSD in external hard drive, so I don't need to install another internal hard drive for specific to Unix system running.

Is there installation instruction after downloading it to the hard drive?

Thanks a lot Smilie
New User of Unix

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux + bsd + solaris

I prepare to install linux distros , freebsd and solaris(totally 6 OS) in a 40G harddisk, but I fail to do it, so I would like to ask some question here. Can different distros share the same linux swap?or each distros need to have their own? I made 6 partitions(5 x 7G , 1 x 4G) and 256M(I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcheng
8 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

4. BSD

Sys V or BSD derivated UNIX

I read it was possible to distinguish if UNIX system on the machine is derivated from Sys V or BSD. The instruction said: ps -ef ... is functional on Sys V ps ax ... is functional on BSD But since I don't have any UNIX machine (just Linux) I can't tell how I may use this knowledge in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
5 Replies

5. Programming

Linux BSD sockets blocking issue

I am using BSD TCP sockets under Debian Linux 2.6 and no matter what I do, the socket blocks on recv. I have set O_NONBLOCK and O_NDELAY using fcntl to no effect. Any ideas ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmb
3 Replies

6. Programming

C programming on Linux/BSD : which tools to use?

Hello there, i've lurked this forum for a while (in few month i will have been registered for two years) but this is my firts post. Well, after having looked to C language as a black monster, i finally have decided to learn it, and to learn it very well! So, i'm quite new to C, although i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freddie
1 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)