Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C++ application development
Top Forums Programming C++ application development Post 302701357 by Corona688 on Saturday 15th of September 2012 05:21:07 PM
Old 09-15-2012
What about it? I haven't found an IDE which is actually less work than doing the work myself, or one with an editor I can tolerate. And if you've never compiled anything yourself or used a makefile, most of the options in one will never make sense to you.

Using an IDE also means you'll probably be unable to work with anyone's code but your own unless you can convince them to use the same IDE as you.

Using an IDE usually multiplies the work in the long run, when you must keep updating and changing all your already-existing projects to keep up with changing versions of the products you built them with. Commercial products are particularly bad, since you're pretty much demanding that everyone you send your code to buys that commercial product. Sometimes -- often -- IDE's break compatibility with themselves and you must start over from scratch. Eventually, I decided enough was enough, ripped all the IDE junk out of my projects, and spent 5 minutes writing my own simple makefiles. Problem solved.

And the data-dump debugger gives you most of what people really want in an IDE without the baggage.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-15-2012 at 06:33 PM..

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies
IXPIDE(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 IXPIDE(4)

NAME
ixpide -- PCI IDE disk controllers driver SYNOPSIS
ixpide* at pci? dev ? function ? flags 0x0000 DESCRIPTION
The ixpide driver supports the ATI Technologies IXP IDE controller, and provides the interface with the hardware for the ata(4) driver. The 0x0002 flag forces the ixpide driver to disable DMA on chipsets for which DMA would normally be enabled. This can be used as a debugging aid, or to work around problems where the IDE controller is wired up to the system incorrectly. HARDWARE
The supported IDE controllers are o ATI SB200 o ATI SB300 o ATI SB400, Parallel ATA o ATI SB400, Serial ATA o ATI SB700, Serial and Parallel ATA SEE ALSO
ata(4), atapi(4), intro(4), pci(4), pciide(4), wd(4), wdc(4) CAVEATS
Some SB700 controllers can hang under load when Native IDE mode is selected in the system BIOS, but work fine in AHCI mode. BSD
October 16, 2008 BSD