Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: du and dfspace reporting
Operating Systems SCO du and dfspace reporting Post 302699681 by jgt on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 06:52:15 AM
Old 09-12-2012
From the man page for du. (SCO 6.0.0)
Quote:

The du command gives the number of blocks contained in all files
and directories recursively within each directory and file
specified by the list in the names argument. The block count
includes the indirect blocks of the file. If names is not
supplied, the current directory is used.

NOTE: "Indirect blocks" refers to blocks used by the filesystem
to store pointers to the actual data blocks that are part of the
file. Hence for large files (that is, those which use large
numbers of pointers), the du command reports disk usage larger
than simply the data blocks associated with the file contents.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. SCO

regarding dfspace

hi, i m having a sco unix system...i want to store the output of dfspace command ie %free space of each partition to different variable so that i can use it for further processing.......can anybody pls help me out thx girish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error reporting script

I am very new to unix/linux and am unsure how to do the following tasks within my script 1) append a log file and add a timestamped echo "Error occured" to it, if posibble to print it to file and on screen at the same time would be even better. 2) As my main script will be calling on a couple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamwick
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Hi. How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such. Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting lines above a particular pattern

Below is a typical report each of the lines represent the fields in the report component1 component2 <pattern> .. .. n lines ... .. VIOL = 2 the command should display component1 component2 VIOL = 2 only if pattern field of the report is "good" component1 and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
8 Replies
quot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  quot(1M)

NAME
quot - summarize file system ownership SYNOPSIS
quot [-acfhnv] filesystem... quot -a [-cfhnv] DESCRIPTION
quot displays the number of blocks (1024 bytes) in the named filesystem (one or more) currently owned by each user. There is a limit of 2048 blocks. Files larger than this will be counted as a 2048 block file, but the total block count will be correct. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Generate a report for all mounted file systems. -c Display three columns giving a file size in blocks, the number of files of that size, and a cumulative total of blocks containing files of that size or a smaller size. -f Display three columns giving, for each user, the number of blocks owned, the count of number of files, and the user name. This option is incompatible with the -c and -v options. -h Estimate the number of blocks in the file. This does not account for files with holes in them. -n Attach names to the list of files read from standard input. quot -n cannot be used alone, because it expects data from standard input. For example, the pipeline ncheck myfilesystem | sort +0n | quot -n myfilesystem will produce a list of all files and their owners. This option is incompatible with all other options. -v In addition to the default output, display three columns containing the number of blocks not accessed in the last 30, 60, and 90 days. OPERANDS
filesystem mount-point of the filesystem(s) being checked USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of quot when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXIT STATUS
0 Successful operation. 32 Error condition (bad or missing argument, bad path, or other error). FILES
/etc/mnttab Lists mounted file systems. /etc/passwd Used to obtain user names ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
du(1), mnttab(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), largefile(5) NOTES
This command can only be used by the super-user. SunOS 5.11 30 May 2001 quot(1M)