Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: du and dfspace reporting
Operating Systems SCO du and dfspace reporting Post 302699527 by dextergenious on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 01:11:07 AM
Old 09-12-2012
Hi,

< https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...isk-space.html >

The links explains that df will use the block size to give the usage details. My system block size is 1024bytes and for that the outputs are not matching. I already know that block size is something which affects the usage reported, but my question was after implementing that logic. I used DU with block size of 1024 and df space is also using 1024 b block size (or let me know how to check df's used block size)

My query still remains...

regards,

Dexter

---------- Post updated at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:34 AM ----------

And BTW, I talked about "dfspace" and not "df". Reporting by dfspace is in MB . I donot know the underlying princile of how it reports the usage.

Dexter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. SCO

regarding dfspace

hi, i m having a sco unix system...i want to store the output of dfspace command ie %free space of each partition to different variable so that i can use it for further processing.......can anybody pls help me out thx girish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error reporting script

I am very new to unix/linux and am unsure how to do the following tasks within my script 1) append a log file and add a timestamped echo "Error occured" to it, if posibble to print it to file and on screen at the same time would be even better. 2) As my main script will be calling on a couple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamwick
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Hi. How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such. Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting lines above a particular pattern

Below is a typical report each of the lines represent the fields in the report component1 component2 <pattern> .. .. n lines ... .. VIOL = 2 the command should display component1 component2 VIOL = 2 only if pattern field of the report is "good" component1 and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
8 Replies
DF(1)								   User Commands							     DF(1)

NAME
df - report file system disk space usage SYNOPSIS
df [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of df. df displays the amount of disk space available on the file system containing each file name argument. If no file name is given, the space available on all currently mounted file systems is shown. Disk space is shown in 1K blocks by default, unless the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, in which case 512-byte blocks are used. If an argument is the absolute file name of a disk device node containing a mounted file system, df shows the space available on that file system rather than on the file system containing the device node (which is always the root file system). This version of df cannot show the space available on unmounted file systems, because on most kinds of systems doing so requires very nonportable intimate knowledge of file system structures. OPTIONS
Show information about the file system on which each FILE resides, or all file systems by default. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all include dummy file systems -B, --block-size=SIZE scale sizes by SIZE before printing them. E.g., `-BM' prints sizes in units of 1,048,576 bytes. See SIZE format below. --total produce a grand total -h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G) -H, --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024 -i, --inodes list inode information instead of block usage -k like --block-size=1K -l, --local limit listing to local file systems --no-sync do not invoke sync before getting usage info (default) -P, --portability use the POSIX output format --sync invoke sync before getting usage info -t, --type=TYPE limit listing to file systems of type TYPE -T, --print-type print file system type -x, --exclude-type=TYPE limit listing to file systems not of type TYPE -v (ignored) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Display values are in units of the first available SIZE from --block-size, and the DF_BLOCK_SIZE, BLOCK_SIZE and BLOCKSIZE environment variables. Otherwise, units default to 1024 bytes (or 512 if POSIXLY_CORRECT is set). SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report df bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report df translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for df is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and df programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'df invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 DF(1)