Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Talk Not Working over LAN or on one computer Post 302697719 by Benji Wiebe on Friday 7th of September 2012 09:13:16 AM
Old 09-07-2012
Talk Not Working over LAN or on one computer

I have talk installed:
yum install talk talk-server

And I have /etc/xinetd.d/talk set to disabled
and /etc/xinetd.d/ntalk set to enabled

I also have opened port 518/udp on server and laptop
and enabled xinetd.service

sudo systemctl enable xinetd.service
sudo systemctl start xinetd.service
sudo systemctl status xinetd.service says that it is running.

AFAIK, the configuration is identical on laptop and server, which both have the same version of everything and both are running Fedora 17.
But if on the server I run talk otheruser, it says [Your party is not logged on] and I KNOW that the party *IS* logged on.
If on server I run:
talk user@laptop;
I get the notification,
and I run talk webmaster@server;
and I get the error Unable to connect with initiator: No route to host. Press any key...
What is going on?

Thanks in advance

PS on laptop doing talk otheruser@laptop works just fine.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk not working

Hi, I am trying talk but it isn't working. I tried talk ip terminal talk ip:terminal First it says: Then after 2 seconds I have checked the mesg status: Its y I am not getting any invitation on the other machine. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure private LAN and coporate LAN on the same machine-Solaris10

Hi , I am trying to configure a private LAN and corporate LAN on the same machien on Solaris 10. How can I achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deedee
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

google talk notification on Nagios is not working

Hi i have installed Nagios 3.0.6 on Centos 5.2 also to configure it i have installed Centreon, my problem is the following , i have created a user for Nagios on google talk and using an script from the web trying to send notification for host status and services. i have tested the script using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokker67
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Different hostnames with reboot while lan cable, no lan cable

I am facing strange problem regarding hostname on my Linux(2.6.18-164.el5xen x86_64 GNU/Linux), the hostname changes if reboot with lan cable and with NO lan cable Reboot with lan cable: The hostname is ubunut Unable to connect Oracle database using sqlplus some times database is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 LAN connection stopped working...

Well this is weird. I restarted my dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.10 from ubuntu to windows. Everything was working fine and windows is always connecting properly to my lan. After restarting back into Ubuntu, all of a sudden I can't connect to my network. It looks as if its trying to connect through... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
15 Replies

7. Hardware

Atheros AR8151 LAN not working

Hi Everyone, First time here on Unix.com forums. I've been trying to install Nexenta on a new server machine that I built. The MotherBoard is a Gigabit GA-G41MT-S2P and the LAN chip is an AR8151. I understand that the AR8151 isn't natively supported by the Solaris kernel, but I'm wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbstryker
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KVM: can't access VM from another computer in same LAN.

DELETE (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
in.talkd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      in.talkd(1M)

NAME
in.talkd, talkd - server for talk program SYNOPSIS
in.talkd DESCRIPTION
talkd is a server used by the talk(1) program. It listens at the UDP port indicated in the ``talk'' service description; see services(4). The actual conversation takes place on a TCP connection that is established by negotiation between the two machines involved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), talk(1), inetadm(1M), inetd(1M), svcadm(1M), services(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The protocol is architecture dependent. The in.talkd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/talk Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). Responsibil- ity for initiating and restarting this service is delegated to inetd(1M). Use inetadm(1M) to make configuration changes and to view config- uration information for this service. The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 31 Jul 2004 in.talkd(1M)