Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking DHCP client's IP release query Post 302693065 by satish51392111 on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 02:10:06 PM
Old 08-28-2012
DHCP client's IP release query

Hi All,

I have two doubts here in DHCP Solaris environment.. could anyone please clarify me?

1. If a new client comes up and it needs an IP to be assigned by a DHCP server, how can it communicate with the DHCP server in the first case without any IP? The SUN doc says something about "BOOTP" agent but could not understand it. Can anyone enlighten me here??

2. What would happen if the client was shutting down and it sent a 'IP release request' (to the DHCP server which provided its IP) but the DHCP server in question was unavailable??
If the client wanted to renew its IP lease time and the DHCP server was unavailable, and after 20secs, other servers can renew its lease time... but what about IP release?? Or, does the original DHCP server retain the IP (after it comes back online) finding the allocated IP unused??
Could not find the answer after considerable Googling!!

Thanks,
S.Satheesh.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP Release/Renew

Are there any UNIX commands that will release and renew a DHCP lease? If not, is there a third party utility that would do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muffy
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

DHCP client & ipchains headache

Hi all, I upgraded my SUSE 6.1 to SUSE 7.1 and at once the following things won't work anymore: 1) My DHCP client is not able anymore to retrieve my IP address from the @home server. It times out all the time. If I use a fixed IP I can get on the net, so there is no physical problem. 2) I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micky
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

I use DHCP on my AIX box at home . I want to connect to my Cable ISP as a DHCP Client . the thing I did was this : smit Communications Applications and Services TCP/IP Use DHCP for TCPIP Configuration and Startup "Select the interface you want to use" en0 "Enter a hostname" OK after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zumbi
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

PUMP DHCP Client

I'm currently using red hat 6.1 and PUMP DHCP Client, I have a Cable Modem from which I aquire my leases. I've configured the lcient corrctly to the best of my knowledge and if get assigned an IP address on the subnet for my local Ubr, however when I go to use any HTTP based program all my requests... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r00t.$h3ll
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Install over WAN(where to keep wanboot.conf file for DHCP client)

I am trying to configure my jumpstart server to install Solaris 10 on a T1000 machine(target) over WAN. I do not know the IP address of the client, i wish the client to get the IP address from DHCP. how do i configure my /etc/netboot hierarchy. One option would be to keep the wanboot.conf in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
1 Replies

6. SCO

dhcp client

I have openserver 5.0.7 running on a machine and would like to know how to configure a dhcp client for it and make it run at startup. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izzzy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DHCP client question

hi all, In dhcp client , how to specify no of retiral attempts for getting IP ? man dhclient.conf - has rery timeout but i m looking for attempts Also option nwip.autoretries uint8; - i guess this is for dhcpd server I basically want to expire after the first attempt. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramchan10
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to set dhcp client by using commands

Hi, I have used "smit tcpip" to setup dhcp client but it does not work. Don't know why. Now I want to try using commands to do the job. I have studied commands chdev and mktcpip but did not find howto. Please help. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

9. Linux

Linux dhcp client boot process with packets traffic

Hi Everybody, I would like to know the entire network packets exchange, sequence between a linux dhcp client workstation & dhcp server as client comes up starting from OS booting stage as network service starts to the time client gets dhcp IP address. This would be in a typical LAN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhirav
2 Replies
dhcpmgr(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       dhcpmgr(1M)

NAME
dhcpmgr - graphical interface for managing DHCP service SYNOPSIS
/usr/sadm/admin/bin/dhcpmgr DESCRIPTION
dhcpmgr is a graphical user interface which enables you to manage the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) service on the local sys- tem. It performs the functions of the dhcpconfig, dhtadm, and pntadm command line utilities. You must be root to use dhcpmgr. The dhcpmgr Help, available from the Help menu, contains detailed information about using the tool. USAGE
You can perform the following tasks using dhcpmgr: Configure DHCP service Use dhcpmgr to configure the DHCP daemon as a DHCP server, and select the data store to use for storing network configuration tables.. Configure BOOTP relay service Use dhcpmgr to configure the DHCP daemon as a BOOTP relay. Manage DHCP or BOOTP relay service Use dhcpmgr to start, stop, enable, disable or unconfigure the DHCP service or BOOTP relay service, or change DHCP server parameters. Manage DHCP addresses Use dhcpmgr to add, modify, or delete IP addresses leased by the DHCP service. Manage DHCP macros Use dhcpmgr to add, modify or delete macros used to supply configuration parameters to DHCP clients. Manage DHCP options Use dhcpmgr to add, modify or delete options used to define parameters deliverable through DHCP. Convert to a new DHCP data store Use dhcpmgr to configure the DHCP server to use a different data store, and convert the DHCP data to the format used by the new data store. Move DHCP data to another server Use dhcpmgr to export data from one Solaris DHCP server and import data onto another Solaris DHCP server. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdhcm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dhcpconfig(1M), dhtadm(1M), pntadm(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), attributes(5), dhcp(5), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide System Administration Guide: IP Services SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcpmgr(1M)