Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O bound computing clusters
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing I/O bound computing clusters Post 302692271 by jim mcnamara on Monday 27th of August 2012 10:50:29 AM
Old 08-27-2012
If you have results, in some static form, you can dynamically mount NFS connections as needed to acces those directories.

Is your "backbone" 1GB or 10GB? If you can create a subnet for the fast NICs and each UNIX box has a 10GB NIC, this is very acceptable - what we do now. We create a job's data, notify the other box, it NFS mounts the dataset readonly, and away we go.

There is another issue to consider. Even though you may get great throughput, some boxes have issues. Solaris with older Qlogix cards takes a hit on interrupts. Because the cpu does a lot of work for the NIC.

All of this is a case of limiting factors, something you see in Science a lot. When you raise the bar on one limit (cpu) then some other resource becomes limiting (I/O in this case or interrupt stack). Since it is not economically feasible to build highways to completely handle rush hour traffic, so it is with computers. As long as it does not hurt production, and you get more processing power, you are okay. You did pay for the hadware, so use it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

question about clusters

hello all...first off let me say hi and im really glad to be apart of this community....tried to join awhile back but i couldnt for some reason im a highschool student and im eager to learn and what im trying to learn now is clusters i have 3 computers in my room all connected on a simple hub ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hexadecimal0011
1 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

List zones bound to a pool

How to get the list of zones which are bound to a pool say appPool. Rather then logging in each zone and then check from pool stat command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

4. Programming

env not bound: BEDEWORK

I was trying to test dump data on bedework jxi console however I got the error below.I'm using debian as my OS and installed quickstart bedework on it. Pls advise what am I missing. thanks Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: env not bound at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. Solaris

VCS Clusters

:)Hi, can someone please explain VCS clustering and where do we need VCS clusters ..? :o:)Thanks in advance :o:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitbisht9
1 Replies

6. Linux

Memory bound error...

Hi all, Am getting the below error for a job that is run in our system. error code: 114, pc=0, call=1, seg=0 114 Attempt to access item beyond bounds of memory (Signal 11) This job uses a cobol program and as far as I know, the problem is related to this cobol program. What does this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: das.somik
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Bound, Unbound, Idle, Listening,

Hi Guys, I am studying netstat and I am getting confused a lot. I will be glad if someone will be kind enough to explain to me : 1) bound port 2) unbound port 3) idle 4 listening I will very much appreciate it. Thanks guys We have a special forum with special rules for homework (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to fix the CPU bound issues on AIX?

Hi All, Can you please answer my question. i see lot of CPU utilization on AIX LPARs. i am able to find the cause of the probelm. But i do not know how to mitigate or fix the problem. for instance, i found the process which is consuming most of CPU. i informed the responsible team. how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: get upper and lower bound per group

Hi all, I've data as: 22 51018157 51018157 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018204 51018204 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018428 51018428 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018814 51018814 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
4 Replies
SHOWMOUNT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      SHOWMOUNT(8)

NAME
showmount -- show remote NFS mounts on host SYNOPSIS
showmount [-Ae36] [-a | -d] [host] DESCRIPTION
showmount shows status information about the NFS server on host. By default it prints the names of all hosts that have NFS file systems mounted on the host. See NFS: Network File System Protocol Specification, RFC 1094, Appendix A, and NFS: Network File System Version 3 Protocol Specification, Appendix I, for a detailed description of the protocol. -A Search for NFS servers advertised via Bonjour. -a List all mount points in the form: host:dirpath -d List directory paths of mount points instead of hosts. -e Show the host's exports list. -3 Use mount protocol Version 3, compatible with NFS Version 3. -6 Use only IPv6 addresses to contact servers. SEE ALSO
mount(1), mountd(8), nfsd(8), mDNSResponder(8) BUGS
The mount daemon running on the server only has an idea of the actual mounts, since the NFS server is stateless. showmount will only display the information as accurately as the mount daemon reports it. HISTORY
The showmount utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution September 26, 2010 4th Berkeley Distribution