Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue with output redirection Post 302674341 by TRB on Thursday 19th of July 2012 11:54:04 AM
Old 07-19-2012
Is it possible that your "input" file contains metacharacters, which is being interpreted in you "echo" command...???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output and redirection

Hello, Is is possible to redirect stdout to a file as well as to the console/screen or display in ksh. any thoughts suggestions/input is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection output in two files

I want to redirect output of my script to two logfiles. I tried this : ./run.sh -c APP | tee >(grep " " > AppLogs.log) >(grep "XYZ" > xyz.log) >dev/null but this does not solve my purpose because logfile xyz.log remains empty untill i stop my script, i want both files, AppLogs.log and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmdup
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and output

I'm redirecting the output of a command to a logfile, however, if the user is on a terminal I would also like the output to be displayed on the screen. tar tvf some_tarfile >Logfile if the user is on a term then have the output to the Logfile and also be displayed on the screen at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection output

Hi there I have a script that runs but it outputs everything onto the screen instead of a file. I've tried using the > outputfile.txt however all it does is dump the output to the screen and creates an outputfile.txt but doesn't put anything in that file. Any help would be appreciated ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kma07
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection

We have an application here that does some table queries and then prints the result on screen. I do not have the code of this application (which i will just call "queryCommand"), but what it does is that you call it with some parameters and it prints some info about the query and then the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolateh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output redirection

Hello i am trying to write a script that will redirect the output to a certain file. Here is the code so far: #!/bin/bash ps -e | sort | more > psfile When I execute the script nothing happens since i assume the output was redirected to the file called psfile. When I try to look at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfruiz34
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

output redirection command

Dear All, ./waf --run scratch/myfirst > log.out 2>&1 The above is a command line to redirect the output to a file called log.out. what is the 2>&1 part for ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection of ls -l output

Hi I am making a script where i want to redirect the output of ls -l to a file Example #ls -l fil1.txt > /opt/temp/a.txt ac: No such file or directory I want to capture output of this command like here output is ac: No such file or directory can anyone help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection

Hi all I was wondering if there was a slicker way of doing this without the file - awk '{print $2}' FS=":" "${FILE}" > "${TMPFILE}" { read M_GRP_ID || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 1 (${FUNCNAME})" read M_GRP_WAIT || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 2 (${FUNCNAME})" }... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file redirection issue

So I'm writing a script which tries to parse human-readable addresses. Part of it is this: print $2, implode(A,1,AN," "), CITY, PROV, POST, COUNTRY, CITYCOUNT>2; CITYCOUNT is a variable between 0 and 3 counting the number of words in a city name. I'm trying to prnt 1 wherever that's greater... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
5 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)