Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers look up Unix server alias name Post 302673265 by methyl on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 06:52:08 PM
Old 07-17-2012
Depends on where the alias(es) are held.
If the alias(es) are in a DNS , nslookup can be used to convert IP address to names providing that your DNS server is configured correctly and your administrator has not disabled reverse DNS lookup.

If the alias(es) are held in a /etc/hosts file nslookup should be able to look up the IP address and report all aliases.

The behaviour of nslookup is Operating System dependent.
Please post you Operating System and version in future posts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing windows server alias name on windows or unix?

My situation is that we have production unix scripts that ftp files over to a windows server. I'm not sure if its a 2000 or 2003 server as I dont work on server, more on the unix side. It turns out that they are changing servers on the network. So they are migrating our data over from say Server 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using alias in cygwin unix

i have a cygwin unix and i would like to use alias to save a cd command.. however i lose this alias when i close out cygwin and log back in.. is there any way to save this command so that i can use it every time i log in? i am using cygwin on windows xp. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

3. AIX

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
3 Replies

5. Web Development

Apache How to 'alias'/'locate'/'redirect' subsite to another internal server?

Apache Experts! We have 'n' servers behind a firewall. One of these, 'Machine A', is the DMZ, and is world facing. It serves up any number of Apache Virtual Hosts already, no problem! Now, how do we 'attach' another server - currently visible only to the internal subnet - such that its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr Lou
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Where should I install an alias file under UNIX bash ?

I have a file named 'aliases' which contains a list of aliases like: alias loc='locate' alias h='history' alias .='pwd' alias ..='cd ..' alias cd..='cd .. ; pwd' .............................. Where should I put this file (alias) so when Terminal launches .bash and thus a shell at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shub22
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to run UNIX alias from plink?

Hi, I am new to unix and plink in general. I want to run plink.exe on windows to execute alias command on unix. Is it possible? I can run simple unix commands from plink for ex: plink.exe -pw mypass myusername@hostip touch filename It successfully creates the "filename" file on the hostip host. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivanhou8219
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS VPS Server Apache Alias

All, We have a hosted CentOS 6 VPS server, using CPanel to install/config the domains/subdomains and installed osTicket in: my.domain.com/tkng/ We are trying to define the following Apache alias: my.domain.com/tickets which has to point to: my.domain.com/tkng/upload/ CPanel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TBotNik
0 Replies
rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)                                       System Administration Commands                                       rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)

NAME
rpc.nisd_resolv, nisd_resolv - NIS+ service daemon SYNOPSIS
rpc.nisd_resolv [-v | -V] [ -F [-C fd]] [-t xx] [-p yy] DESCRIPTION
rpc.nisd_resolv is an auxiliary process which provides DNS forwarding service for NIS hosts requests to both ypserv and rpc.nisd that are running in the NIS compatibility mode. It is generally started by invoking rpc.nisd(1M) with the -B option or ypserv(1M) with the -d option. Although it is not recommended, rpc.nisd_resolv can also be started independently with the following options. This command requires that the /etc/resolv.conf file be setup for communication with a DNS nameserver. The nslookup utility can be used to verify communication with a DNS nameserver. See resolv.conf(4) and nslookup(1M). OPTIONS
-F Run in foreground. -C fd Use fd for service xprt (from nisd). -v Verbose. Send output to the syslog daemon. -V Verbose. Send output to stdout. -t xx Use transport xx. -p yy Use transient program# yy. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nslookup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), resolv.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 rpc.nisd_resolv(1M)