Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX wtmp file - is there a patch to export the data another file each day? Post 302665225 by zaxxon on Monday 2nd of July 2012 07:14:59 AM
Old 07-02-2012
No need to be sorry.

From man who:
Quote:
To obtain information, the who command usually examines the /etc/utmp file. If you specify another file with the File parameter,
the who command examines that file instead. This new file is usually the /var/adm/wtmp or /etc/security/failedlogin file.
Normally a plain last shows all entries. Though you can try who -a /var/adm/wtmp if it shows more.

/etc/utmp contains much less entries than /var/adm/wtmp.

Here some clearing up from the IBM site:
Help - AIX 7.1 Information Center

/etc/utmp stores the logins, while /var/adm/wtmp stores archives everything together with information that will be used if you are using the Advanced Accounting facilities of AIX.

I just did a check on a box and here is the outcome:
Code:
# who -a /etc/utmp| wc -l
# who -a /var/adm/wtmp| wc -l

Do you maybe have a job that tries to save space in /var and just overwrites or nulls /var/adm/wtmp? It can happen on machines, that are very busy login-wise, that this file can get very big very fast. Maybe that's the reason a last shows only last's day entries.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to export data file from Unix

Hi, I am searching a way to export data file on Unix to SQL server on a daily bases. Any one has any ideas? Thanks in advance! (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to export data from csv file to oracle database

Hello people, Need favour. The problem I have is that, I need to develop a unix shell script that performs recurring exports of data from a csv file to an oracle database. Basically, the csv file contains just the first name and last name will be dumped to an Unix server. The data from these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayagan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export data from DB2 table to .txt file(space delimited)

Hi I need help on this. Its very urgent for me.. please try to help me out.. I have data in tables in DB2 database. I would like to export the data from DB2 tables into a text file, which has to be space delimited. so that I can carry out awk, grep operations on that file. I tried to export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export table data to xml file?

Hi , I would like to get some suggestion from the experts. My requirement is to export oracle table data as an xml file. Any unix/linux tools, scripts available? Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string(s) in text file and nearby data, export to list help

Hi, So I'm kinda new to shell scripts and the like. I've picked up quite a bit of use from browsing the forums here but ran into a new one that I can't seem to find an answer for. I'm looking to parse/find a string AND the next 15 or so charachters that follow the string within a text file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kar23me
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script to export the data to ixf file in loop

Hi, I am trying to export the data to an .ixf file. I have read the table names from a .dat file and those table name should be passed to the select * from schema.TABLENAME query . I am trying the below loop while read TABLE; do db2 EXPORT TO ~/data_export/$TABLE.ixf OF IXF MESSAGES... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikyalex4
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append data to new row in CSV file every day

Hi All I will run the same script every day in corn and output should go to same CSV file but in different row with dates on it. Below is my example in attached format. Script i am using to collect switch port online DATE=`date '+%d-%m-%y'` for f in `cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export hive table data to a file on local UNIX?

Hi All , I am stuck on the below situation.I have a table called "test" which are created on hive.I need to export the data from hive to a file(test.txt) on local unix system.I have tried the below command ,but its giving the exception . hive -e "select * from test " > /home/user/test.txt ; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: STCET22
1 Replies

9. Linux

Parsing - export html table data as .csv file?

Hi all, Is there any out there have a brilliant idea on how to export html table data as .csv or write to txt file with separated comma and also get the filename of link from every table and put one line per rows each table. Please see the attached html and PNG of what it looks like. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Gather data from logs and export to a CSV file

Greetings, After a few hours of trial and error, I decide to ask for some help. I am new to AWK and shell script, so please don't laugh :p I made the below script, to gather data from some logs and have the output into a CSV file : #!/bin/sh #Script to collect Errors ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami_Sama
9 Replies
ac(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     ac(8)

NAME
ac - Outputs connect-session records SYNOPSIS
ac [-dp] [-w filename] [user(s) ...] FLAGS
Outputs the total connect time for each midnight-to-midnight period for which a wtmp file exists. When user(s) is specified, this flag lim- its the output to the login names specified by any user(s) parameter(s). Outputs the connect time total by individual login name of the user specified with the -p flag and the user(s) parameter. Omission of this flag permits a total only for the midnight-to-midnight time period for all logged in users to be produced. Specifies a wtmp file other than the /var/adm/wtmp file. The wtmp file you access for data may have been created automatically by some shell script administration command (for example, runacct) or manually by the system adminis- trator when the original /var/adm/wtmp file becomes too large. DESCRIPTION
The ac command prints to the default output device the total connect time in hours to the nearest hundredth for all users, or the connect time for any user(s) specified with the -p flag. It also prints the names of users specified by the user(s) parameter who have logged in during the life of the current /var/adm/wtmp file. Connect-time records are written by the init and the login programs and are collected in the /var/adm/wtmp file, when such a file exists. When a /var/adm/wtmp file does not exist, no connect-time accounting records are written; consequently, when connect-time records are wanted, the system administrator should create a /var/adm/wtmp file that has an initial record length of 0 (zero). Records in wtmp files (there may be more than one such file) should be processed periodically to keep the files from becoming too large. When you use the runacct command in a shell script, additional wtmp files can be automatically created whenever the current wtmp file becomes too large. You can output the contents of any of these other files when you specify the -w flag and the desired wtmp filename. The ac command is run independently with respect to any accounting shell procedure created or run by any of the acct/* shell procedures or runacct commands. EXAMPLES
To obtain an output of the total connect time for all users who have logged in during the life of the current wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac To obtain an output of the total connect time for grossman and mcwhinney as recorded in the default wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac grossman mcwhinney To obtain an output of the connect time subtotals for grossman and mcwhinney as recorded in the default wtmp data file, enter: /usr/sbin/ac -p grossman mcwhinney FILES
Specifies the command path. Is the active data file for the collection of connect-time records. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: login(1), init(8) delim off ac(8)